[SOLVED] Can you OC JUST the boost clock?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I want to overclock my CPU but I want it to return to its base clock when it doesn't need the extra power. For some reason I have been under the impression if I overclock it it will stay at 5ghz or whatever 24/7.. and I don't want that. Is this possible?

Solution
I want to overclock my CPU but I want it to return to its base clock when it doesn't need the extra power. For some reason I have been under the impression if I overclock it it will stay at 5ghz or whatever 24/7.. and I don't want that. Is this possible?
On Intel systems, this is what most people are doing when they say they're "overclocking" their systems. The CPU speed multiplier in Intel systems is more like the maximum multiplier the processor can go to.

On AMD systems, the CPU will simply boost until it hits a wall. However, the boost speed AMD advertises is pretty close to the limit that the processors will get to without exotic cooling.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
did you disable speed step?

Oh, no I have not overclocked it ever. When I bought it I just wanted the headroom for when I did finally want/need to. Then I discovered I actually could screw things up decently and it wasn't just the flip of a switch so I kind of shelved it. Also as I thought it would constantly be at a high clock it just wasn't appealing. But if there is just a setting or two buried somewhere and I can let the chip do its usual thing just with a higher ceiling then I would like to.

On Intel systems, this is what most people are doing when they say they're "overclocking" their systems. The CPU speed multiplier in Intel systems is more like the maximum multiplier the processor can go to.

On AMD systems, the CPU will simply boost until it hits a wall. However, the boost speed AMD advertises is pretty close to the limit that the processors will get to without exotic cooling.

Solution