Question Can you order a CPU by design?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Can I have a designer CPU, if I have enough money to pay Intel, AMD, or another chip-maker? Is it possible to buy a machine that can make CPUs?

If I have software that is capable of operating only within certain hardware, which is no longer supported and the compatible CPUs and motherboards are discontinued, is there a chance to make producers produce those discontinued components just for me, despite the fact the components are discontinued and no one has produced any of them for years?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If it's impossible to make homemade CPUs, how did the person in the video successfully make such CPUs?

You keep conveniently ignoring that its an 8 bit CPU that runs at 500khz. 500khz = 0.0005 Ghz.

That means you would need to make something 2,000,000 times larger than what is in the video to reach 1 Ghz. And it would never actually work because it would be too physically big.

So again, NO.

Reactions: DSzymborski

USAFRet

Titan
Having 5 CPUs and 10 motherboards will ensure my project will be kept alive for at least 100 more years
Here, you're just being silly.

You've been told, in many ways, that what you think you can do is not possible.
You've also been given several real world alternatives.

I think this has run its course.

Closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.