Can you overclock a GPU/CPU on a non Z-Series mother board?

doodlebob05

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
i was wondering if you can overclock a GPU/CPU on a non Z-Series motherboard and my motherboard is an MSI b150m and it has this thing in the BIOS/UEFI and it its called EZ Overclock and like I said it is not a Z series motherboard so I would like to know whether or not I can overclock a CPU/GPU on it.

Solution

Gpu always. Cpu unless you have a k series and one of those odd b150m boards that allow it then yes otherwise no.

Gpu always. Cpu unless you have a k series and one of those odd b150m boards that allow it then yes otherwise no.

Solution

doodlebob05

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Thank you very much cause I do have an i5 4690k on the way to me right as I am writing this and also one other question do you know how far I can overclock a GTX 1050ti?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Hope you're not planning on using the 4960k with your b150m mobo, because they're different sockets. And no one can say for sure how well your 1050 ti will overclock, you'll just have to try it out.

The 4690k and b150m are completely different sockets. Did you order the wrong cpu?

doodlebob05

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
my god I'm so stupid and confused my motherboard is a b85m-g43 so sorry first time building a PC but can I use the i5 4690k with the b85m-g43 motherboard? and the reason being that I got that i5 4690k is because I got it new on eBay for $180 and in case I ever want to upgrade my motherboard.

Happens to everybody :p

doodlebob05

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

yes I am just starting to get my CPU and graphics card and hard drive but I did buy the motherboard in June of this year

Best tip I can five is alawys buy all your parts at the same time. They will only get cheaper the longer you wait and if it would take about 6 months to get all the parts then just buy them all together after six months never over a timespan.