Can you overclock i5-3470 with a Z68 chipset motherboard?

Ghost2609

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Hey, I want to know if you can overclock i5-3470 with ASUS P8Z68-V PRO or any Z68 Chipset and please don't start "You need a K processor to overclocking it". No you don't you can overclock this CPU to 3.8Ghz with all cores functional.
I found this post about the same question and looks like you need Z77 to do the OC but still wanted to clarify if this is true or it's just that motherboard:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2968068/overclock-3470-z68-motherboard.html

Solution
On non-K Sandy and Ivy bridge you could overclock by a multiplier of 4 (400MHz) with any motherboard that allows multiplier adjustments. This means both Z77 and Z68. Tom's had a tutorial about it long ago.

Don't mess with the BCLK as unlike Skylake, too many things are locked to it.

4745454b

Titan
please don't start "You need a K processor to overclocking it"...but still wanted to clarify if this is true

I'm not sure how to approach this question. On the one hand you are saying you don't need a K CPU, but then you say you aren't sure. I guess it depends on what you mean by "overclock". The turbo boost frequency isn't an OC in my book. The 3xxx CPUs can be OC'd to 4.5-4.8 very easy. But of course you need a K one for that. Bumping the bus speed up to 105MHz so that it turbos up to 3.8 instead of 3.6 isn't really an OC. I have no idea how he got that pic, photoshop?

Rather than "attack" the idea of OC'ing, I'm going to say if you are looking for more performance you really need to change your CPU. The 3470 isn't a bad chip, but it's definitely showing it's age for a gaming machine. You need a system upgrade, not an OC'd chip.

Ghost2609

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

Dude I said that about the K chips because people don't just write that I can't overclock the non-K and not answer the actual question. (But it still happened right now). Of course you can OC better with a K chip. Not everyone has money to build a brand new PC every few years so I'm just working with what I have and if you don't have an answer to the question I asked or at least a thought about it, which you clearly have not, then don't reply at all.

4745454b

Titan
Again, messing with the turbo isn't really OCing. It's just forcing the turbo to work on all cores. Someone is super not happy with what I posted so I need to bow out and not give advice. I hope he doesn't kill anything trying to force what isn't really possible. (because obviously all those people who say K chips only are wrong.) Don't worry Ghost, I'm gone. Have a good time.

Ghost2609

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

Thanks for the tutorial and yea I know about the BCLK. I just got curious about the Z68s cuz of that thread and one like that on reddit.

Ghost2609

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

Well I got it that it's not really "Overclocking" but everyone calls it that and it's easier to title a thread with that word instead of "Can you force the turbo to work on all cores on i5-3470 with a Z68 chipset motherboard?". lol

Only a few motherboard manufacturers like ASUS allowed all 4 cores to run at the max single-threaded turbo clock. The BIOS setting was Multicore Enhancement and is technically also overclocking.

Without that, the free 4 bins of unlocking on the locked Sandy/Ivy i5 and i7 processors just added 4 to every turbo setting like so
oc-locked.gif

Just subtract 100MHz from every frequency on the right panel for your processor, which is 3.2 to 3.6GHz stock. That should give you turbo from 3.7 to 4.0.

Ghost2609

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

So with Multicore Enhancement I can get 4.0ghz with all 4 cores running on ASUS P8Z68-V PRO ?

Yes. Idle will still be 3.2GHz and when need be, turbo should go up 8 bins to 4.0GHz for all cores, even when loaded with 4 threads. Not bad for a "locked" chip.

This freebie multiplier overclocking was removed for Haswell non-K but they provided divisors for the BCLK to run at 100, 125 or 167 on those.

Ghost2609

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

Great but does Asus P8Z68-V PRO have Multicore Enhancement I can't seem to find it.

If it doesn't have it then you can try setting Turbo Ratio to [By All Cores] and the multiplier to 40. Or to [By Per Core] and 40 for each.

This may make it run at 4.0GHz all of the time, losing the 3.2GHz idle speed. At least that's what can happen with a K processor--Turbo boost appears to be required to get the free 4 bins though, which is why you can't overclock an i3 this way.

Ghost2609

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

Ok thanks mate.