[SOLVED] Can you please advise me if I should I purchase a new PC or upgrade my current system. Thanks

May 6, 2019
Hi, my current system is 5 years old and I know I need a better graphics card (regular gaming) and better ram (minecraft). I am not sure what the life expectancy is of my computer parts, so I'm not sure if I should keep my PSU, CPU and HDs - or if I am better off replacing them all now instead of them failing on me later (I have had a PSU overheat in Australian Summer and destroy my graphics card before, so I'm cautious).

Intel Core i7-4770, 3.40Ghz, 4 core, 8MB Cashe, LGA1150 Processor
Corsair 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
Z87M-PLUS Asus 4xDDR3 Motherboard
Gigabyte GTX770 OC 4GB DDR5
Western Digital GP Driver 1TB SATA3
ATA Samsung SSD 250GB
Thermaltake Litepower 700WTT Power Supply

Is it worth keeping anything? Or would it be safer to just start new so I don't have any hardware failure in the next few years?

I would really appreciate any help, thank you in advance!

Solution
Well it is worth keeping the hard drive, but you surely need an ssd, also 16gb of ram should be more than enough.
And if you are looking into upgrade your GPU what do you have in mind? and what is your budget? because you might need to upgrade your CPU according to your GPU.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well it is worth keeping the hard drive, but you surely need an ssd, also 16gb of ram should be more than enough.
And if you are looking into upgrade your GPU what do you have in mind? and what is your budget? because you might need to upgrade your CPU according to your GPU.

Solution

BringerOfTea

Reputable
Linastra.

You could keep the disks as suggested above. Everything else is as I would consider it a dead end. If your motherboard should crap out, it will be hard replacing it.
I gather you are Australian and therefore suffer the high components cost. If need be, I would to consider keeping your GPU for a while. Get a decent PSU... one which will endure the outback ;)
Get a Ryzen 5 with a b450 motherboard and some 3200, 3000 MHz ddr4 2*8gb kit.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Linastra.

You could keep the disks as suggested above. Everything else is as I would consider it a dead end. If your motherboard should crap out, it will be hard replacing it.
I gather you are Australian and therefore suffer the high components cost. If need be, I would to consider keeping your GPU for a while. Get a decent PSU... one which will endure the outback ;)

+1

May 6, 2019
Hi, thank you for getting back to me!

I do have the 250GB SSD atm, as well as the 1TB regular HD. Should I purchase a new SSD since I heard that they don't last too long (something about X amount of memory rewritten).

Yeah, I'm definitely looking at 16GB RAM, and not sure on the graphics card. I usually spend ~$1500 AUD on an entire PC. For a graphics card, I usually just google what is most cost-efficient - I prefer nvidia. My usual way of thinking, for example, if the 1060 is $300 and the 1070 is $600, is it really worth paying double the price for the 1070? If it is (will I get many more years out of it), I will pay the extra.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well as the good guy above mentioned, a ryzen processor is a good choice to be honest, way cheaper but intel processors are way better in gaming.
a 2060RTX with the ryzen 5 should be a really good pair with a decent power supply.

May 6, 2019
Linastra.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will keep my HDDs and focus on replacing the rest! Now to do some research - thank God for this forum.

Feb 27, 2019
If you're looking to sell your current system, I would pay some $$ for the motherboard and processor because my current 4th gen i5 motherboard is about to conk out.