[SOLVED] Can you please help me chose thermal pads for EVGA RTX 3080 XC3?

ChrisRedfiedl

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Hello everybody,

I need your help with replacing stock thermal pads on my 3080 XC3 for ''aftermarket'' that will help decrease memory junction temperature.
As you already may know,GDDR6X memory is very,very hot and despite Nvidia claiming that high temperatures are normal,I'd still like to replace thermal pads.
I started mining Ethereum last month and I wanted to see how it will go,because I wanted to use GPU while I'm not gaming for extra profit.
It turned out it mines pretty good,so I stopped playing games and I continued to mine constantly.
I had good temperatures around 86c average,and highest were 92c.We're talking about memory junction temperature of course,not the GPU temperature itself.
Today,I checked my PC and current temperature was 110c with 112c being max.
I was pretty shocked and worried,so I turned off my PC to get a little break.
Today ambient temperature was somewhat higher than previous days,so that definitely caused the temp increase.

I have one huge request if I may ask...
I have one store in my country that has good selection of thermal pads,so I wanted to ask you if you could please tell me what size and thickness of pads should I order for my model?
I would like best results of course and I heard that it's possible to replace pads on both memory and backplate,but they require different pad size.
I would like to install pads on both places to get lowest temperature possible.
Also,should I pay attention for thermal conductivity ratings or are they ''irrelevant''?
Since I obviously don't know anything about pads,I would kindly like to ask you if you could recommend fitting pads for my model on this store (don't mind Croatian language,just concentrate on dimensions):

https://www.adm.hr/termalne-paste-i-padovi-0936/158/

And most important question,I heard that manufacturers don't approve doing these kind of mods for GPUs,except for EVGA and ASUS (only TUF models tho),but I'm not 100% sure if EVGA approve it.
Will I void warranty if I do this mod with my model?
And if one day my GPU gets malfunctioned,will I have problems if I send it to repair service in my local shop (I didn't ordered it directly from EVGA)?

Thank you very much for taking time to read this.

Solution
have you thought about providing a cooler environment for your GPU as in more case fans or a case with better airflow? why risk damaging your gpu? they are designed to run that way and you may want to increase gpu fan speed as well.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
There is the right to repair, but Im not sure how that works.
I am also wondering, but assume the higher thermal conductivity is better for more heat dissipation.
I am also concerned (even if Nvidia isnt) about my mem temps

ChrisRedfiedl

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
There is the right to repair, but Im not sure how that works.
I am also wondering, but assume the higher thermal conductivity is better for more heat dissipation.
I am also concerned (even if Nvidia isnt) about my mem temps

As far as I read,the higher thermal conductivity is better for heat dissipation and that lowest ''tier'' of pads is rated 6W/mK,medium is 12W/mk and high is 17W/mK and up.
I also read that it's not smart to get cheap on thermal conductivity because results are better and price is not that high.
However I only saw one person saying that so...
What GPU do you have?
I'm very concerned about memory temperatures on my GPU,I know Nvidia said they are tested and high temps are normal,but I manage to reach 112c today which is thermal throttling threshold.Point is that room temp was around 84f or 29c.
I'm very worried what will happen in summer when temps reach peak at around 38c in that room.
I don't mind having fans set to max,but I read it's not recommended for long terms.
I set them at 88% and I underclock core clock to -130.
I overclock memory to +1000 and lowered power limit to 68%.
So far it was good,around 85.7c average,but today was a little warmer weather and they jumped from 92c that was previously max temp,to 112c.

Reactions: Bassman999

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
I have Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC
Yeah I heard the stock ones are he cheaper ones, and they dont use back side ones at all.
Ive seen reported 4-6c reduction from some people and 8-10c reduction from others. Might depend on using proper thickness, how good the stock ones were on that brand, and what brand you choose, and maybe just luck lol.

I havent seen any that claimed 17W/mK , but I saw 12.8 Termalright.

having a few cool days here in California and so inside temps ranging from 19-25c inside.
I limit power using MSI to keep me at 96c maximum mining, Id rather make less so as not to kill my expensive card.

The first time I tried mining was 4 days ago and it took my card to 320 watts and 106c immediately even though core was 46c lol
I get to 84-86c mem gaming CP 2077 highest settings with RT and DLSS on for reference