Question Can you plug a 9 pin USB into a 5pin USB header on mobo?

bobz5460

Prominent
Jun 3, 2022
Hello. I have a mobo with only 1 internal usb 5 pin header. I want to put a razer universal argb controller into my computer, since I don’t have any argb connectors on my mobo. The argb controller uses a 9 pin usb 2.0 header, and I was wondering if I needed a converter or if I could just plug it in as it is into the 5 pin header., and if so, how would I do that? Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
No.

And I am simply saying "No" because without more information any other response is likely to be a bit risky at best.

= = = =

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.,

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

ARGB controller: make, model, source? (Noted Razer - "universal")

The root concern being that many products use terminology such as "compatible" or "universal".

Compatible/universal might mean that there are 9 pins - not that the 9 pins are properly mapped for the intended use.

9 to 9 or 9 to 5... whatever.

Details matter.

Hello. I have a mobo with only 1 internal usb 5 pin header. I want to put a razer universal argb controller into my computer, since I don’t have any argb connectors on my mobo. The argb controller uses a 9 pin usb 2.0 header, and I was wondering if I needed a converter or if I could just plug it in as it is into the 5 pin header., and if so, how would I do that? Thanks!
You will have to carefully examine the pinout for the 5 pin header and compare it to the pinout for the argb device. A standard usb2 header consists of a 5volt line, 2 data lines and a ground pin at the other end, so its not clear why you have 5 pins. These would have to be matched to the argb requirements. Without a perfect match you should not proceed.