[SOLVED] Can you power pc fans from a 5v wall plug?

Solution
Most fans will start reliably at 7V, many will work on 6V. Down to 5V though, the bulk of them either won't work at all or require a push to start.

As mentioned by others previously, fan speed will vary with voltage and will be very slow at 5V. I use an adjustable DC-DC converter to run my PC's front fans at 6.5V, enough for them to start reliably and spin fast enough to generate meaningful airflow through my case's intake filter without generating too much noise.
i don't actually own a soldering iron, nor much about wiring so if there's an easy way to adapt it to USB or 3-pin that be great
You don't need to solder two wires together. You can get something called a butt connector to marry two wires together. All you have to do with one of those is put the wires in and crush the connector ends. There's also screw-type terminals that do a similar thing.

If you really want to be jank though, you can also just mash the wires together and use either electrical tape or heat shrink tubing to cover it.

Reactions: lvt
May 20, 2021
You don't need to solder two wires together. You can get something called a butt connector to marry two wires together. All you have to do with one of those is put the wires in and crush the connector ends. There's also screw-type terminals that do a similar thing.

If you really want to be jank though, you can also just mash the wires together and use either electrical tape or heat shrink tubing to cover it.
I managed to find a DC to 3 pin adapter. Would that work?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
. Because they are cheap, I’m concerned about the cables shorting or melting.
Uh... what?
This is nonsense. Unless you short them on purpose nothing will happen, the cable won't "melt" just because it's not a $50 Noctua fan.

Some fans might work at 5V but not all of them, you should use them at the voltage they're rated for, 12 volts. The power supplies faalin mentioned are good enough to tinker with fans.