Question Can you Prevent Forced Windows Update Installation on Shutdown/Reboot ?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello All,

It's storm season here, and I had my PC on the other night when a big, loud, and thunderous storm rolled in.

So of course; I went to shut down my PC as fast as possible as there could be a blackout or surge etc at any time.
But the damn Windows Update just went ahead and Installed itself when I shutdown - which I clearly didn't want.

I've literally had blackouts occur seconds after unplugging my PC in the past; so seconds matter.

Is there anyway to prevent this in future?

Thank you for your help

USAFRet

Titan
Hello All,

It's storm season here, and I had my PC on the other night when a big, loud, and thunderous storm rolled in.

So of course; I went to shut down my PC as fast as possible as there could be a blackout or surge etc at any time.
But the damn Windows Update just went ahead and Installed itself when I shutdown - which I clearly didn't want.

I've literally had blackouts occur seconds after unplugging my PC in the past; so seconds matter.

Is there anyway to prevent this in future?

Thank you for your help
If an Update is in need of Shutdown or Reboot, there is generally a selection for:
Shutdown
Shutdown and apply Updates
Reboot
Reboot and apply Updates

If you've left it too long, it will just do the Apply updates anyway.

2 methods to work around this:
  1. Have an UPS. This will provide battery power for some minutes.
  2. Put updates on Pause, until YOU want to do them. A week or two...do them on an idle Sunday, perhaps.