Can you put Hard Drive On the top of Power Supply?

ernson2012

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
my case supports only one hard drive bay now i have 2 hard drives and there is no other place to put that because i only have rakk phantom x Case now...
Can you put Hard Drive On the top of Power Supply?
or you need to put something in between to lessen the vibration
or what other way to put is aside throwing a new case..

Solution
It's not just vibration you need to worry about. You've got two other things to consider.

- HDDs need some cooling. Not much, but there has to be some airflow over them to keep them around 30-40 C. I took a HDD out of the case and rested it on the desk once to copy a bunch of data off it. Then went downstairs to eat dinner. When I got back up, the copy had failed, and subsequent analysis showed that without any airflow to cool it the HDD had hit 60 C and shut down.

- PSUs have a fan, usually pulling air from inside the case and ejecting it outside. If the HDD covers up the fan and restricts airflow to the PSU, the PSU could overheat and die.

If the case has empty 5.25" optical drive bays, you can buy adapters which will let you...

antishill

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
The fan vibrations from the PSU should be much weaker than the hard drive's own internal vibrations. The biggest problem with putting the HD without some sort of mounting holding them in place is taking the risk that if and when your case gets knocked over, by accident or otherwise, stuff will go flying and wreck something else and perhaps the HD itself. So that is your call.

ernson2012

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

the pcb part of hdd is on the top?

ernson2012

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

can i make adapter so that i can mount the 2 hard drives together hence it is vertically mounted

It's not just vibration you need to worry about. You've got two other things to consider.

- HDDs need some cooling. Not much, but there has to be some airflow over them to keep them around 30-40 C. I took a HDD out of the case and rested it on the desk once to copy a bunch of data off it. Then went downstairs to eat dinner. When I got back up, the copy had failed, and subsequent analysis showed that without any airflow to cool it the HDD had hit 60 C and shut down.

- PSUs have a fan, usually pulling air from inside the case and ejecting it outside. If the HDD covers up the fan and restricts airflow to the PSU, the PSU could overheat and die.

If the case has empty 5.25" optical drive bays, you can buy adapters which will let you mount a 3.5" HDD in an optical bay. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Mounting-Bracket-Adapter-Metal/dp/B0094D8UGU

Solution

ernson2012

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

sadly it doesnt have cd rom bay
it only has 2.5 ssd slot at the back

it is a compact case now i regret buying it, the small space is not worth buying