[SOLVED] Can you recommend me a good PSU?

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
Hello folks! I'm going to be building a mid range desktop pc soon here. I am leaning towards a 1660 ti for my GPU, but possible a 2060 or 1070. CPU will probably be an AMD 1600x or 2600 or something in that range. This brings me to the PSU. Ideally I would like something atleast semi-modular. Preferably at least bronze rated. Aside from that I don't care about brand as long as its reliable and won't burn my house down. Price range would ideally be $50 but I can live with $60 or $70. Also Amazon availability is a plus 😉 Thanks guys!

Corsair's CX450 or 550 (and the modular variants 450M / 550M) would be solid options.

The CX550m or 650 is solid and probably the best budget option

The "M" is actually not a variant of the "non-M" CX.

The CX (with no M) is actually a better platform.

The CX-M is good, but is an older topology.

If modular cables aren't important and you can get the CX for less than the CX-M (typically it is), then you should get the CX.

Agreed the cxm and cx are not the same. The cxm grey is a 2015 model and the cx grey is 2017. Both are pretty good.

The cx or cxm green units all suck and are much older. Dont buy them.

For a 1070, i would go for 500w min, although lower may work.

Seasonic s12 ii and corsair cx(or m) are good options. Could also get an evga b1 bronze.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=71&A=450000000000,2000000000000&sort=price&page=1

Prices as of this moment:

Seasonic Focus Gold - 450W, semi-modular: $64.90
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold - 550W, full-modular: $66.98 (AFTER $25 mail in rebate)
Seasonic Focus Gold - 550W, semi-modular: $69.90

For only slightly more than the 450W, I'd go with one of the 550W units, to give yourself a little more overhead in case of future upgrades. However, given the video cards you have in mind currently, and given the high quality of the Seasonic Focus units, 450W should be just fine.

Seasonic s12 ii and corsair cx(or m) are good options. Could also get an evga b1 bronze.

Actually, no. The S12II is group regulated (no DC to DC) and lacks OCP protection and has a high set OPP.

The EVGA B1 is also group regulated (no DC to DC) and has a sleeve bearing fan.

That makes those two choices only about as good as the old green label CX and CX-M's, which you yourself say "suck".

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Have you seen any reviews that I might have missed? Last I heard, it was still group regulated (no DC to DC) and that they just updated the front end to LLC from DF.

Nothing more (and likely less) than you would have JG. While group regulated, it's still a solid offering with impressive worldwide availability - so I wanted to mention it. Far worse units that could be bought, but admittedly, there are plenty better units. At the $35 pricepoint it's shooting for, it's solid enough.

In a lot of regions, from what I can see, the S12III's are on the shelf already with competition like generic no-name units and old, discontinued units like the CX430 still floating around. In the battle of the group reg units, I'd take the outsourced SeaSonic over the CX, for example.

Probably not too relevant in this case, as the OP is likely in the US... but you never know.

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
Where are you located?

Corsair's CX450 or 550 (and the modular variants 450M / 550M) would be solid options.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/FQ648d,3hkwrH,Q7L7YJ,FdRFf7/

SeaSonic's S12III 450W is a solid unit for a good price too - not modular though:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JQ...-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-ssr-450gb3
United States. I had been looking at the s12iii but a lot of people seem to hate that. That corsair one looks great though, thanks!

bignastyid

Titan
Nothing more (and likely less) than you would have JG. While group regulated, it's still a solid offering with impressive worldwide availability - so I wanted to mention it. Far worse units that could be bought, but admittedly, there are plenty better units. At the $35 pricepoint it's shooting for, it's solid enough.

In a lot of regions, from what I can see, the S12III's are on the shelf already with competition like generic no-name units and old, discontinued units like the CX430 still floating around. In the battle of the group reg units, I'd take the outsourced SeaSonic over the CX, for example.

Probably not too relevant in this case, as the OP is likely in the US... but you never know.

I think you are confusing the older S12II and the newer S12III. IMHO the newer III units are not as good as the older II.