Question Can you recommend me which cooling would be best for my system ?

Apr 8, 2022
Regards to all,

I'm new to the forum but I've been following the channel for years.I need your help.

A year and a half ago I bought an HP Omen 30 L. The CPU is AMD Ryzon 3900 (not X version), NVidia RTX 2070 Super, 32 GB Ram.

I am a programmer by profession, but not a Hardware expert, so it was easier for me to buy a computer that was already build. And that's where I made a huge mistake. Not only has HP inserted the most common motherboard that exists and can hardly support any newer parts, but CPU cooling is an insult! Even while I'm not working, my temperature reaches 78 degrees. For a long time I tried to get in touch with them and check the cooling and correct the problem, but without success.
I have had a PC for 1.5 years. I decided to take the thing and my hands and install a new cooler. Can you recommend me which cooling would be best for my system? Should I buy something like a noctua u9s or go with some water cooling? But my case doesn't have too much space, the frame is too close ...
Any suggestion is welcome. I just want the best for my system to last at least another 3-5 years. I am also interested in your opinion on this Non-X version of the processor.

Motherboard:
Moria3; Form factor: Micro ATX: 24.0 x 24.0 cm (9.45 x 9.45 in)
Chipset: B450
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR4 (288-pin)
Processor socket: AM4
Expansion Slots:
One PCIe x16 socket
One M.2 socket 1, key A
One M.2 socket 3, key M

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900
Processor upgrade information
TDP: up to 65 W
Socket type: AM4

Power Supply:
Internal PSU 500 W
Total wattage: 500 W
Full range: 115 V/230 V
Efficiency: Bronze

Computer case:

Height: 43.31 cm (17.05 in) unpacked
Width: 16.51 cm (6.5 in) unpacked
Depth: 42.2 cm (16.61 in) unpacked
Weight: 12.86 kg (28.35 lb) - without packaging

Thanks in advance

kanewolf

Titan
Regards to all,

I'm new to the forum but I've been following the channel for years.I need your help.

A year and a half ago I bought an HP Omen 30 L. The CPU is AMD Ryzon 3900 (not X version), NVidia RTX 2070 Super, 32 GB Ram.

I am a programmer by profession, but not a Hardware expert, so it was easier for me to buy a computer that was already build. And that's where I made a huge mistake. Not only has HP inserted the most common motherboard that exists and can hardly support any newer parts, but CPU cooling is an insult! Even while I'm not working, my temperature reaches 78 degrees. For a long time I tried to get in touch with them and check the cooling and correct the problem, but without success.
I have had a PC for 1.5 years. I decided to take the thing and my hands and install a new cooler. Can you recommend me which cooling would be best for my system? Should I buy something like a noctua u9s or go with some water cooling? But my case doesn't have too much space, the frame is too close ...
Any suggestion is welcome. I just want the best for my system to last at least another 3-5 years. I am also interested in your opinion on this Non-X version of the processor.

Motherboard:
Moria3; Form factor: Micro ATX: 24.0 x 24.0 cm (9.45 x 9.45 in)
Chipset: B450
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR4 (288-pin)
Processor socket: AM4
Expansion Slots:
One PCIe x16 socket
One M.2 socket 1, key A
One M.2 socket 3, key M

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900
Processor upgrade information
TDP: up to 65 W
Socket type: AM4

Power Supply:
Internal PSU 500 W
Total wattage: 500 W
Full range: 115 V/230 V
Efficiency: Bronze

Computer case:

Height: 43.31 cm (17.05 in) unpacked
Width: 16.51 cm (6.5 in) unpacked
Depth: 42.2 cm (16.61 in) unpacked
Weight: 12.86 kg (28.35 lb) - without packaging

Thanks in advance
It looks like the 30L has an AIO liquid cooler included. You will most likely have to take the motherboard out to swap coolers (I can't say for sure because I can't see a picture of the case on the back side of the motherboard. IF you can get to the cooler backplate without removing the motherboard, it will be a lot easier to swap coolers.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Doesn't look like a standard AM4 CPU socket mount. Not sure there is an off the shelf recommendation.

Looks like it has a threaded backplate, so anything that mounts with m3 (likely) posts with a pretty wide mount might work.

Coolers like the Deepcool Gammax 400 would be something I might try to mount. But you will need measure how far from the CPU you go before hitting the closed side panel.

You would need to get some long M3 machine screws and washers. I have done this with Dell's before.

If that cooler is too tall, Might have to look at some smaller tower coolers.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It looks like the 30L has an AIO liquid cooler included. You will most likely have to take the motherboard out to swap coolers (I can't say for sure because I can't see a picture of the case on the back side of the motherboard. IF you can get to the cooler backplate without removing the motherboard, it will be a lot easier to swap coolers.

Depends on the model, the Ryzen 3900 looks to have been usually shipped with an HP stock cooler. They do this so they can use the same cooler for Intel and AMD.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen 3000 and up is known for higher temperature spikes on a single active core than people are used to. Forget the kind of numbers you saw with Intel or older AMD platform.
The lack of airflow likely isn't helping either.

Trying to find a post with specific info on the max cpu air cooler height proved to be unsuccessful... I saw responses such as:
-NH-U12S and NH-15 won't fit
-anything taller than 150mm doesn't fit
-allows a cooler of about 140mm in height
So, it's best if you find out more accurately by measuring off the top of your cpu.
Also, found this from a reddit thread: If you got the Ryzen version use the Intel bracket, and if you have the Intel version also use the Intel bracket.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen 3000 and up is known for higher temperature spikes on a single active core than people are used to. Forget the kind of numbers you saw with Intel or older AMD platform.
The lack of airflow likely isn't helping either.

Trying to find a post with specific info on the max cpu air cooler height proved to be unsuccessful... I saw responses such as:
-NH-U12S and NH-15 won't fit
-anything taller than 150mm doesn't fit
-allows a cooler of about 140mm in height
So, it's best if you find out more accurately by measuring off the top of your cpu.
Also, found this from a reddit thread: If you got the Ryzen version use the Intel bracket, and if you have the Intel version also use the Intel bracket.

That would rule out the Gammax 400 then.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jg7wrH/thermaltake-cpu-cooler-clp0552

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vbfhP6/cooler-master-hyper-h412r-341-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-h412-20pk-r2

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JcqPxr/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-2-cpu-cooler-bk030