Can you recover data from a failing SSD that has been quick formatted?

Argapharus

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
My SSD showed signs of failure like slow downs when using file explorer, warning/error messages in event viewer for bad blocks and finally stopped working (tried another pair of SATA cables and a docking station with no luck). Before it completely stopped working, I managed to backup all my files and quick format it (tried full format but the SSD always disconnected before the process finished). I brought it back to the store and they emailed me today saying they had to sent it to the manufacturer so I assume they had no luck with it either. My problem is I had some sensitive data on that SSD and I wonder if it would be possible for someone to recover the files despite it being quick formatted.

Solution
While it might be possible its highly unlikely they would even attempt to.
The manufacturer has no real interest in your data, and even if they did they receive many drives back for warranty so they wouldnt pick yours out of the bunch, and they certainly wouldnt check every drive for residual info.
The fact the drive is failing gives them even less reason.

Dont worry about it.
While it might be possible its highly unlikely they would even attempt to.
The manufacturer has no real interest in your data, and even if they did they receive many drives back for warranty so they wouldnt pick yours out of the bunch, and they certainly wouldnt check every drive for residual info.
The fact the drive is failing gives them even less reason.

Dont worry about it.

Solution
in theory someone could recover some data; depends on the manufacturer of the SSD, some of them hold all deleted data until certain "house keeping" events occur to delete the rest. Many SSDs simply wipe everything when it's deleted. depends on the firmware and manufacturer. Recovering deleted data from a SSD is pretty tough to do.

USAFRet

Titan

1. Highly unlikely they could retrieve anything from it.
2. Even more unlikely that they would go into the deep forensics to actually do that.

However...a "quick format" doesn't really get rid of the data. It simply erases the file allocation table. The data is still there, sort of.
SSD's, though...they do not store data the same way HDD's do. Recovering data from a dead SSD is major work, if at all.

It may end up costing you more to try and retrieve the data than you paid for the drive. If you find some one willing to try, there will be no guarantee that they can do it.