Question Can you replace the switch on a mechanical keyboard?

Wonderclam

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I just bought a Patriot Viper V770 mechanical gaming keyboard for $120 and I love it. The only issue is that I rest my hand on the WASD buttons a little bit and I keep pressing A by mistake. I didn’t have this issue with my previous keyboards. The buttons on this one are easier to push. It uses “Kailh Red Switches.” I want to replace the A switch with something that requires a little bit more pressure to push. I understand that the colors indicate the amount of pressure it takes to push the button.

Anyone have knowledge on this subject? Can I replace this switch?s It’s got an RGB LED light on it and I want to replace it with something similar, but requires a tad bit more pressure to be able to push.

DSzymborski

Glorious
Depends. Do you have a lot of experience soldering? Also, there may be glue on top of the soldering points as well - a lot of keyboard manufacturers will do this to keep any sharp points from cutting any cable running through.

Wonderclam

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Looks like I'll need the black kailh switch, which takes 60g of force to push, instead of the 50g which is what the red switches are rated for.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS