Can you review this summary of computer gaming parts

Fumblerful

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
A friend of mine has rcently become interestd in computer gaming and would like to get a gaming computer for WoW. I made this summary for People who would like to start on that path but i would like to have it reviewed by fellow gamers and PC enthusiasts.

Summary of My Computer Gaming Knowledge
Sections:
1. Key Terms and Ideas
2. Internal Parts
3. External Parts
4. Accessories
Forward:
I have designed this as a summary of my knowledge I have gained through my time gaming on my computer. I know this is not a complete manual to computer gaming and that is because I encourage further research on behalf of the reader to better immerse themselves in the realm they shall enter. Another reason is I have not learned all there is to know. I am not an amateur gamer but I am also not an expert compared to all those in the world. I would define myself as well versed though not a master. As you read this volume, you should keep this in mind.
1. Key Terms and Ideas
a. What kind of gamer will you be? This is important in the context of gaming because it determines your budget. To answer this, think of how devoted you will be to gaming. How many hours will you play a week? Keep this in mind for your decisions.
b. What games will you play? Look at the recommended settings of the game you will be playing. This can give you an idea of what you need to spend your money on. Certain games are more intensive in certain areas than others. An MMO needs a better CPU while an RTS would need more RAM to handle the all of the entities (the people walking around and the buildings). Some games have specializations when it comes to external parts as will be discussed.
c. What is your budget? When considering your budget, consider not only how much of an impact it has immediately but also think of how you want your games to look. You will want to balance eye candy with FPS (Frames per Second). This means how much beauty you will give up for smoothness and and the other way around. The better your machine, the less you will give up one for the other. Monitor resolution has an impact here because you need a stronger machine for higher resolution. As an example, my current monitor is 1080x1920 but I want one that is 1440x2560. To do this, I need to upgrade my graphics card to ensure that my games do not start to stutter and look awful. If you want all your game to run a t max settings @60FPS 24/7, you will need to spend thousands of dollars but if you want low-medium settings @30FPS, you will need a computer that costs less than $1,000 excluding tax or externals.
d. Future Proofing. This is a very important concept as it will be a part of all of your decisions. Future proofing is preparing your computer for any possible advances in computing technology such as making sure your computer has enough power for a new graphics card or even had the physical space for one.
e. Online play. When playing online, it is important to know you will run into rude people. Do not let them affect you. If you do, they win. However, you will also encounter nice people. Always be wary when friending people you do not know as they can turn out to be bad. On the other hand, they can very important to friend in order to coordinate future play times.
f. Murphy’s Law. Murphy’s Law dictates that anything that can go wrong may go wrong. Always remember this. You can figure out why.
g. Analog vs Digital. Digital means an on or off signal (black and white). Analog means how much on or off something is (black, white, and all the gray in between). This is general computer information that comes up sometimes in game forums such as discussing controllers versus mouse and keyboard. In this sense, keyboard movement (WASD) is digital as it is on or off while a controller joystick can give analog movement and you can switch between running and walking without an external button.
h. Laptops vs Desktops. Do not get a laptop. In my opinion, desktops are the way to go, as they are cheaper performance wise and last longer. They are easier to future proof because they are easier to upgrade due to their larger size. Get a desktop.
i. Home built, store built, or not customized at all. This is in terms of how you will get your computer. I do not recommend the first option unless you have a lot of experience. I also do not recommend the third since you can be ripped off on price and parts. The second option is best in my view as you have a lot of say in what happens, expert opinion from the builder, and the possibility of a warranty.
2. Internal Parts:
a. The Case: this is what everything goes into. I recommend a large, airy case for the best ventilation and space for upgrades. Decorative LED lighting is also nice to have-- especially during the Holidays. Make sure your case has sturdy and plentiful connections for interface devices (headphones, USB ports, etc.) because if not, they will break and you will be sad. Cases have certain form factors for their motherboards which mostly are ATX, mini-ATX, and micro-ATX. As you can tell, some are larger and smaller. The smaller motherboards can fit in places where their larger cousins can fit. Remember when finding a case to find one your motherboard can fit in and find a motherboard which fits your needs.
b. Power Supply Unit: This is self-explanatory. This supplies the power, as it is what is plugged into the wall. Just make sure you can get the one with the correct amount of power for your job. There are online power calculators to determine the PSU requirements your build has. Make sure you use a good, reliable, safe one or ask an expert at an electronics store near you. Do not use the PSU that comes with your case if it is cheap. The PSU is probably of low quality. You can research it to see if it is bad but it probably is. Do not try risking your system with bad quality power. Also, make sure your case is tough. It would be terrible if your brand new computer was slayed by the stray office chair bumping into it.
c. Motherboard: The motherboard is what connects and allows communication between all of the other parts. The motherboard is very important as it routes the power to your components. Motherboards vary. Do not get a cheap board as it can hamper your performance. The motherboard is where future proofing comes in to play a lot. Each motherboard has its own capabilities such as the amount of memory it can access, power it supplies to each part, as well as what connections it has. Do the research for your motherboard at the same time as your other parts because you will shape your motherboard requirements as you decide what you want. A motherboard can have some parts like graphics “on board” but you should not rely on these parts because they are not to the same quality as dedicated versions but it is still good to have them because of Murphy’s Law.
d. Operating System: Get Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Never get 32 bit because it can only address 4 gigabytes of RAM and do not get Mac because it will annoy you. Mac is over simplified and so is Windows 8. Windows 8.1 is like windows 8 and 7 combined so it is probably good. i have not used it but i have heard good things about it. Windows 10 will be coming out eventually and this will be one I probably get as it is designed for PC gaming. It is going to be made to be more efficient for PC gaming. Windows 7 will most likely not work with Directx12. Directx is a piece of software many games use for various purposes. The newer the better in most cases.
e. Processor: The processor is what directs the tasks of the computer. Get an x64 (64 bit) and not an x86 (32 bit) processor as it will allow for 64 bit computing. Not all processors can do the same thing but some are more suited to some tasks. Once you know what you will be doing, think of what processor you will need. For some people, an i7 might be what is needed but for others an Intel Atom might be awesome. Some people might be doing stuff that needs eight cores even if the speed per core is slower than a four core. What you need depends on what you will do. For purely gaming, a four core processor is the max you will need but some programs can use eight cores so do the research to see what you need.
f. Hard drive: There are two types of hard drives: Solid State Drives and Hard Disk Drives. Solid State Drives are very fast and durable but are also very expensive. Hard Disk Drives are slow and are older. They rely on a spinning disk to read information so the faster the disk, the faster the read while SSDs access information via non moving chips. Hard Disk Drives are cheaper than Solid State Drives but due to the speed of SSDs, there are some hybrid drives with a small cache of SSD space and the rest made up of HDD space. SSDs can be used to speed up the start time of a computer by loading the OS onto it as well as any apps that the user specifically wants loaded quickly. Everything else can go on an HDD because they will not need the same speed. Think about these specs when building as well as future proofing.
g. Graphics Processor Unit: This part will be upgraded through time and can be quite easy to upgrade. When getting a GPU, it is VERY important to make sure your GPU can physically fit in your case. Some GPUs are ten inches long, four inches high, a and take up the space pf two pcie slots. When getting your motherboard, make sure you have an up-to-date PCI connection for the GPU. Make sure your CPU does not bottleneck your GPU. Your CPU is the director of your computer so if your director is slow, your GPU will not function to its fullest potential.
h. RAM: This is the "short-term memory" of your computer. RAM prices fluctuate and I recommend buying good RAM when it is cheap. There has recently been a shift in RAM technology, which has brought DDR4 RAM (very fast) into more prominent usage. This new RAM should be considered when building as it will future proof your build. The amount of RAM you desire can vary. 8 gigabytes is a good amount. 4 gigabytes is too little while 16 can be too much depending on usage. Think of what you will do with your computer when getting your RAM and decide what amount best fits your usage and make sure your motherboard can address that much RAM. Make sure your RAM works with your mobo. DDR3 RAM will not work with a DDR4 mobo and a DDR3 mobo will not work with DDR4 RAM. Another thing to mention, when you cut power to your computer by turning it off, all RAM memory is forgotten.
i.
I Case Cooling: Cooling prevents your computer from being destroyed from overheating. There are varying ways of cooling your computer but for the nonprofessional I will limit it to two: liquid and many fans. I recommend liquid if you are having your computer professionally built as it is very quiet and efficient. Fans can get very noisy but because there is a lower chance of water leaking, I would recommend them more for the amateur builder. Liquid cooling can be achieved passively where the hotter liquid rises to the top of your case through its tubing where it is chilled by the outside air. This effect can also be achieved with a pump, which speeds up the process. I recommend the pump since a well cooled machine will run nicely.
II CPU Cooling: What I just described above but going onto your CPU. CPU cooling can be a fan and heatsinks above your CPU or it can be liquid cooling running above it. A CPU will need thermal paste under it to distribute the heat it generates as they will get hot. CPU cooling can even be done by pouring liquid nitrogen on it with a special liquid nitrogen coolant system. You will not need that but it is very cool.
j. Sound Cards: My knowledge in this department is lacking but I do know that the better a card, the better a sound will play from your machine. Integrated mobo sound cards are decent but if you want really good sounds get a sound card. Integrated mobo sound cards use processor strength for their sound output while dedicated sound cards do not.
3. External Parts:
This section will talk about parts that are necessary external components to a computer as opposed to unnecessary accessories.
a. Monitors: Monitors vary widely in use and application as well as price. When buying a monitor, know what you want and what you are willing to give up. Monitors have certain features, which are used to measure them. This includes GTG (time needed for screen refreshes), refresh rate (refreshed per second), contrast ratio (darkness of black compared to brightness of white), number of colors (number of colors that can be shown: usually 224 colors which is 16.7 million), aspect ratio (length: width), resolution (number of pixels), and other miscellaneous features and qualifications. Monitors can be very specialized such as towards high refresh rates versus accuracy of colors. There are a few types of monitor technologies, which are specialized due to their capabilities and flaws. One example is the TN monitor: this monitor has amazingly GTG measurements and fast refresh rates but its colors cannot compare to IPS monitors. IPS monitor colors are amazing and their viewing angles are huge but they lack in refresh rates unless you are willing to spend large amounts of money. There are other types but these are the ones I can discuss.
b. Mice: Mice can also be highly specialized but can also be very basic. Mice can be ergonomic (conforming to grip) for ambidextrous use, left or right handed, or not at all. Mice can be highly subjective because hands can vary greatly. Mouse buttons can also vary widely and this causes multiple types of mice. Mice with number pads can be specialized to MMOs because they allow for quick change of objects in use while some mice are designed for FPS’s because they can be made more accurate for sniping via some button. Mouse accuracy is important to think of becaus your mouse will have movements that are more precise. There are gaming mouse pads, however I am still deciding on getting one or not. Do not get wireless mice because they can lose connection at the most inopportune moments.
c. Keyboards: Be careful when getting keyboards because they can be very expensive. Keyboards vary greatly and have many different features such as having an ergonomic section for gaming keys. When buying a gaming keyboard, put a lot of thought into what you want because there are a myriad of features and keyboards. Do not get wireless for the same reason as stated in the mouse section.
d. Headphones/Speakers: Do not play a game without these. Your sonic perception can tell you if you are about to be backstabbed or if your target is calling for backup. That being said, not all headphones/speakers are made equal. A good set of either would have some rudimentary form of stereo sound telling you where the sound comes from. Another nice to have is good sound. Both devices have their pros and cons. For the following comparisons, I am not assuming quality or preference: I am only showing self-evident facts. Speakers can operate when you are moving around and/or wearing something on your head but they are big, need space to set up, and they interfere with microphones. Headphones are small and do not interfere with microphones but limit mobility and must have access to your ears. My preference is with headphones but I have a set of speakers as well, for when friends are with me. My speakers have also come in handy for when something covers your ears for extended periods. I recommend having both but perhaps choose which one you will use most often and splurge on that one.
e. Cables: Cables are very important as a bad cable leads to a bad connection, which leads to bad gaming. Cables will vary depending on use and type but before buying one, always do research on the cable that is correct for you. Cables can undergo revisions, which enhance them so make sure you have the revision that is the newest that will work.
4. Accessories
a. Webcams and Microphones: These are not necessary to a working computer or gaming but can help. Both items can facilitate better communication among teammates via in game chat or whatever other service is in use. Make sure that whatever sound device you are using does not interfere with either. Webcams and probably mics can be hacked so unplug them when not in use unless you want a creepy stranger listening in. I recommend using a mic, as it does not have the chance of showing who you are to a stranger while a webcam does. When gaming, cover the lens on your webcam so people cannot hack it and see you. Always be careful when talking to other people as they are strangers and terrible things have happened to people who were not careful with their webcams. I do not recommend sharing your Skype information with strangers. When using either webcam or mic, make sure it can hear you and that your mic settings are loud enough for others to hear you. Also, do not be rude with your mic and spam a song on it. Just don’t.
b. Chairs: A standard office chair will work. There are some specially designed gaming chairs but I do not use one. Just make sure it is comfortable.
c. Controllers: There are many controllers out there but a mouse and keyboard are almost always superior in aiming. Not all games accept controllers. A mouse’s accuracy is very good but you may want analog movement. In that case you might be able to use an ambidextrous/opposite handed flight simulator stick as an analog controller with some work. It will require controller support and some dedication on your part to make it work. Controllers are good for when you are playing away from your keyboard.
d. Miscellaneous: There are definitely things I have not covered that exist but with the information I have given you, you can do your own research.

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

As this data was accumulated over years of my learning and being involved with computers, I cannot cite everything but I can mention some awesome sites.

• Tom's Hardware
    Nvidia
    Steam
    Stuff that comes up on Google
    Amazon
    Wikipedia
There are also some good books. One in particular is Upgrading and Fixing a PC in easy steps by Stuart Yarnold.

EDIT:
Changed some stuff per some feedback.

Bhavneet Pannu

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
"Get an Intel i7."

Please do not be biased. All cpu's can do the same thing. They all might not do it at the same speeds. Get a processor for your needs. Don't always say Get the Highest CPU. I bought a G3258 dual core because i was Light-medium gamer and I was going to do some small editing. You can not compare a 8 core to a 4 core. In gaming (less than 4 cores) Yes. But Some people might really need those extra 4 cores. Even tho they are slower, One could really use the extra 4 cores. For example If I was to buy a Pentium g3258 and a I7 4 core, In WoW There won't be a difference that I will notice.

"If you get an Intel processor, get an Nvidia GPU. If you get an AMD processor, get an AMD GPU." Did you know a AMD GPU performs better on a Intel CPU than a AMD CPU. That is some S**T A*S biased statement. Get the cheapest price/performance GPU. For example If you had to chose between a R7 265 and a GTX 750 ti, it depends on the game. In BF4 the R7 will beat the TX 750 because of Mantel API.

You should also talk about Online Heavy multiplayer (64-1000 players) how they need more higher capable CPU's.

There are other small mistakes but I like it how you spend your time in making this guide. I would love to help you with this guide.

Bhavneet Pannu

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
About Windows 8. Windows 8 is ****. But windows 8.1 is better than windows 7. Windows 8.1 support the new DirectX 12 while windows 7 doesn't. You could change windows 8.1 to look the same as windows 7.

Let us also not forget that Microsoft announced this past spring that mainstream support for Windows 7 will come to an end in January 2015.

Edited for language. Watch it.

larkspur

Distinguished
Section 1. b) You should encourage the reader to look at the recommended system requirements for any newer games they want to play. While not perfect, it will help the reader develop a baseline of components for consideration.

Section 1. c) Instead of doing a cost to gaming hours analysis, the reader should be doing a cost to eye candy/fps analysis. In other words, it really isn't how many hours you want to play, its more what games, at what settings (monitor resolution!), and at what fps they desire when setting a budget.

Section 1. g) That explanation doesn't really add value to someone looking to get into computer gaming/building.

Section 2. a) You should include a comparison and explanation of ATX, mATX, mini-ITX, etc. Remind them how this impacts choice of motherboard form factor.

Section 2. b) I wouldn't bother mentioning external PSUs at this level of new gamer/new builder comprehension. Also - provide a warning about buying cheap cases that include PSUs - too many junk PSUs are used by new builders.

Section 2. d) Yes on 64-bit. Win 7 is fine, but 8/8.1 and 10 (when its released) are fine. As Bhavneet mentioned, Win 7 supposedly isn't getting DX12.

Section 2. e) Remove the line, "My suggestion is to get an Intel processor because this allows for synergy with Nvidia Graphics cards." Nvidia cards run fine with AMD and Intel CPUs. AMD cards run fine with either cpus also.

Section 2. f) I'd mention that SSDs are usually used as a boot drive and for any apps that the user wants to load quickly. HDDs are good for storing all your pics and movies and everything else that doesn't necessarily benefit from the high performance of an SSD.

Section 2. g) Remove both these sentences: "If you get an Intel processor, get an Nvidia GPU. If you get an AMD processor, get an AMD GPU." That's horse-poo. Instead you should discuss the importance of balancing the GPU and CPU (or at least make sure the CPU is powerful enough to allow the GPU to be fully utilized). In other words, don't expect a Pentium to perform well with two R9 290x in CrossFire.

Section 2. h) Expand by saying RAM type should match the motherboard/platform being used. In other words, DDR4 won't work in a DDR3 system and vice versa. Also, I would call RAM the "short-term memory" of the computer rather than the 'brain'.

Section 2. i) I would break this section into subsections. One for CPU cooling and one for overall case cooling.

Section 2. j) Mention that motherboards these days have built-in sound that works fine but aren't as good as a GOOD dedicated sound card. Onboard sound relies on the CPU to do the sound processing. But unless the person is an audiophile, a sound card is usually low priority for most budget gaming machines.

Hope some of that helps!

Fumblerful

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Thanks! This all really helps. As I said, I don't know everything. When I see some builds, I'm amazed. I will give the person I wrote this for a link to this. Also, sorry for any typos. I wrote part of this on phone.

Bhavneet Pannu

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
An MMO needs a better CPU. MMO needs cpu's with better single core performance. In this case Intel will beat ANY other processor. The best processor for MMO is really a pentium g3258 ($70) or a I3 (130). A I5 or I7 will give a few more fps but isn't worth the $300-400.

Fumblerful

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Thanks. I am trying to keep this generic and not geared towards MMOs because I will give this to others who need my help.

Happy New
Praise The Emperor in the coming Eternal Crusade