[SOLVED] Can you run a very old AMD graphics card with a new AMD graphics card without crossfire

memeleek

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
This might be a dumb question but I was wondering if I could get a very old AMD graphics card and run it on my rig with a new AMD graphics card without crossfire. Or if I could have both graphics card in my system and only boot off of the new or old graphics card when I wanted.

Solution
AMD discontinued driver support for anything older than the HD7000 a few years ago. I could certainly imagine driver conflicts if modern drivers still have common components with old drivers. Personally, I'd get a GT1030 instead - something that is relatively recent and should be fully supported for many more years.

memeleek

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
I have a Radeon 5600 xt in my pc right now and the old card I wanted to use was a Dell ATI Radeon HD 4450 but I could use any old graphics card that works.

First of all, what do expect from the old card? I mean what do you want the second GPU for?
Other than using it to connect multiple monitors (more than 4 actually), you have nothing to gain, only lose as a matter of fact. Two GPUs will make the power draw higher, you would need a better PSU, hotter inside the case and possible driver conflicts if the GPU is too old.

InvalidError

Titan
AMD discontinued driver support for anything older than the HD7000 a few years ago. I could certainly imagine driver conflicts if modern drivers still have common components with old drivers. Personally, I'd get a GT1030 instead - something that is relatively recent and should be fully supported for many more years.

Solution