[SOLVED] Can you run CPU stress test and work/game at the same time?

Feb 4, 2021
Hi there!
I was just wondering, can you run a CPU stress test, to reach its max clock speed, and work/game at the same time?

Solution
Well, the thing is, I wanna check if I can utilize my max CPU frequency while working. I'm a power user, and I prefer performance.

Is your thought process here that the stress test will keep clocks elevated, leading to.... increased performance?

Best to discard that thought process/line of reasoning quickly. It will rob your performance.
Feb 4, 2021
You probably "could"...in that nothing bad would happen.

...but I wouldn't trust the results of the CPU stress test and I really don't see any reason why you WOULD do this.
Well, the thing is, I wanna check if I can utilize my max CPU frequency while working. I'm a power user, and I prefer performance.

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Well you can set it manually in the bios for example ryzen 3600 max boost is 4.2ghz you can set 4.2 in the bios and play with the voltage but prepare yourself for higher temp and maybe not really stable.The cpu itself will use it's full speed if needed if not it will lower it's speed to maintain a lower temps so i recommend leaving it at default

Feb 4, 2021
Well you can set it manually in the bios for example ryzen 3600 max boost is 4.2ghz you can set 4.2 in the bios and play with the voltage but prepare yourself for higher temp and maybe not really stable.The cpu itself will use it's full speed if needed if not it will lower it's speed to maintain a lower temps so i recommend leaving it at default
Actually I had tried that. I have a pretty old CPU- an Intel Core i5 3317U@1.7Ghz, so it IS pretty slow when I run modern applications. I can't find an Intel speed step tab in my UEFI, neither do I know how to overclock it. I'm too scared if I'll mess up and blow it up or something, so I thought this would be a better option.

Actually I had tried that. I have a pretty old CPU- an Intel Core i5 3317U@1.7Ghz, so it IS pretty slow when I run modern applications. I can't find an Intel speed step tab in my UEFI, neither do I know how to overclock it. I'm too scared if I'll mess up and blow it up or something, so I thought this would be a better option.
This sounds like a laptop, in which case said options are usually not available.

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
No it's not acually you will get less performance this way.Because your cpu is focusing on 2 application instead of one and your cpu looks like a labtop cpu so it will overheat if you did that which will cause the cpu to lower it's speed

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Hi there!
I was just wondering, can you run a CPU stress test, to reach its max clock speed, and work/game at the same time?
Mate you look like you're new to this so i recommend you to leave everything stock tbh it's just a headache i had a labtop like you and i ruined because i was missing with it's cpu clocks i lacked knowledge back then so please don't make the same mistake.
Cheers!

Feb 4, 2021
No it's not acually you will get less performance this way.Because your cpu is focusing on 2 application instead of one and your cpu looks like a labtop cpu so it will overheat if you did that which will cause the cpu to lower it's speed
Well, I tried this, and it has been going well for about an hour.. haven't measured the temp, but its roughly the same as when I normally use it..