Question Can you solve my NVIDIA Quadro P3000 Nightmare?

IndyDad

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Precision 7720 Windows 10 with Intel and NVIDIA Quadro P3000 GPUs.

This NVIDIA card worked fine for years, but in the last 6 months constant BSOD with an NVIDIA error. Tried the latest and old drivers. None seem to eliminate the issue.

Latest problem is Photoshop won't recognize the P3000, only the Intel card. I've gone into System, Display, Settings and assigned Photoshop and other intensive programs to use the NVIDIA, but they won't. I've gone into the NVIDIA panel and for 3D settings done the same thing, assigned graphic intensive programs to the NVIDIA. No luck.

And just now when Photoshop was open an unable to recover from kernel error related to NVIDIA.

Ran a Dell hardware scan of the NVIDIA and it passed.

Dell says nothing to do but reset / reinstall Windows, but I've read others say this doesn't solve anything.

Any advice? Thanks.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Can you run a benchmark against the P3000? If it won't run a 3D application, then it is probably dying. Either the video memory or the GPU has something wrong with it.

5.5 years isn't great for a GPU, but not unheard of for failure.

Good news is that is a replaceable GPU, so nothing stopping you from tracking down another P3000, or something a little faster, on the used market.

IndyDad

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Can you run a benchmark against the P3000? If it won't run a 3D application, then it is probably dying. Either the video memory or the GPU has something wrong with it.

5.5 years isn't great for a GPU, but not unheard of for failure.

Good news is that is a replaceable GPU, so nothing stopping you from tracking down another P3000, or something a little faster, on the used market.

How do I run a benchmark?

Also I looked and could only find used P3000s and I think they are near end of life. Any way to find out a compatible card with my machine a Precision 7720?

THANKS!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are various tools such as 3DMark, Unigine Valley, and many video games have built in benches.

Technically, any MXM 3.0 card should be compatible. That has a maximum power specification and the packages all have the components in the same spots for cooling. However, getting any random card to work with a Dell computer can be tricky. For best chance of success, stick to cards that were originally in Dell 7720, those are pretty much guaranteed to work.

This will come in handy:

IndyDad

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
There are various tools such as 3DMark, Unigine Valley, and many video games have built in benches.

Technically, any MXM 3.0 card should be compatible. That has a maximum power specification and the packages all have the components in the same spots for cooling. However, getting any random card to work with a Dell computer can be tricky. For best chance of success, stick to cards that were originally in Dell 7720, those are pretty much guaranteed to work.

This will come in handy:

Thank you.