Can you start a PC from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Can you start a PC or laptop from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs?

I know how how to start a mac off an external hard drive with a bootable OS X volume. I wonder if you can do the same with PCs and Windows 10.

Wolfshadw

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from rodion15 : "Can you start a PC from a Windows 10 USB hard drive as in Macs?"

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Thanks for your answer. I'm just trying to know what's the best way to troubleshoot a troubled PC that won't start off its storage. In Macs booting from an external hard drive/ssd with a bootable OS X with some useful tools installed can solve many problems, so I thought the same can be used on PCs. Not sure what tools are used nowadays for this: I heard of Ultimate Boot CD and Hiren's, not sure they're worth a shot.

it really depends what you are trying to do. I generally do my trouble shooting on the hardware level such as removing the suspect and seeing what happens. trying it in a different PC, different port, etc... if the disc is corrupted or dead, then I just wipe it or get a new one I guess my answer is, I have little experience with boot diagnostic tools, as I do not really use them.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Thanks a lot for your answer :)