Can You Start A PC Without A PSU?

Odonix

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016
I have an old motherboard with all the parts it needs to run except a power supply. Is there any way to start it? At all? Thanks :)

Odonix

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016

Oh really?? I didnt know that. You know Im just a retard who doesnt know how things work. Arent there any alternative power sources?!... smh

Odonix

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016

Yes smart ass, there is a vegetable alternative

Odonix

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016

You don't even have a profile picture so...

USAFRet

Titan

That counts as fuel.

To your original question...
No, you cannot start up a PC without a power supply of some sort.
Or maybe you have some sort of PC that can run on powdered unicorn horn and puppy farts.

Now...what is your real question?

Odonix

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016

I never said no power at all I said without a PSU, you know the block looking things you put in your PC to get power.

USAFRet

Titan

OK....110v or 240v from the wall (depending on where you live)
This needs to be reduced and split into 12v and 5v. Different places on the motherboard and other parts take different voltages.

Unless you desire to build your own power supply (PSU), how do you plan to do that?

BTW...how did your barebones custom laptop go?

Lutfij

Titan
Odonil,
You have your answer actually. That's the point of asking the question to you.

USAFRet,
I think one can build a powersupply out of 9v batteries, small step up transformers and resistors if they really desired but with PSU's in abundance for purchase of reliable units, who'd want to waste time doing so?

I never said no power at all I said without a PSU
Well it now looks like you're trying to find an alternative power source like biofuel. Considering how a power supply unit has the necessary components to provide stable and reliable power to your PC, there aren't any other material alternatives for this case.

Odonix

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016

That's the type of answer im looking for. I did not build a barebones laptop.

Odonix

Honorable
Oct 1, 2016

A person who is too lazy to buy a psu