Can you still purchase LEGIT Windows 7 Licenses?

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
I have read that Microsoft is no longer producing or selling(?) Windows 7 licenses.
I have also noticed that Newegg is not selling Windows 7 licenses.

Are there any places/sites to get legit Windows 7 licenses for new builds? I have been asked by many, many people for windows 7 but most of the places I have found online look shady at best.

Solution
Big retailers? That probably wasn't a reputable source... I suggest you buy one from an official Microsoft partner, like newegg.

There's never actually a guarantee with win7 Keys. And no actual way to test it beforehand, since keys can only be verified through microsoft themselves.

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
How can I ensure that they are legitimate? I have seen so many people selling them for $50 or less (even $17.99) but I do not want my "customer" nor microsoft coming back to me later and saying the key is not legit. Is a retail sticker key the only way or does microsoft still sell them somehow apart from being a builder? I do not do enough builds for them to license me.

So is there a way to confirm the legitimacy of a key? My boss has purchased from big retailers online and received bad keys ad no hope of refund. Any protection against this?

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Big retailers? That probably wasn't a reputable source... I suggest you buy one from an official Microsoft partner, like newegg.

There's never actually a guarantee with win7 Keys. And no actual way to test it beforehand, since keys can only be verified through microsoft themselves.

Solution

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013

the big retailer he purchased from is amazon.

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Amazon and Ebay both have their issues when it comes to quality control. I would never buy windows from them unless the seller is microsoft themselves. The problem with keys is that they can't be tested...

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013

Oh well, it appears we will be forking over the $150 for a legit key unless I can find a alternative OS that is similar to Windows so no one is confused. Thanks for the replies!