can you swap a psu without switching cords

Jul 26, 2018
i was planning to upgrade my psu and i was just wondering if you can swap a psu without having to do the rewiring if it's of the same brand i currently have a evga 750B and i was planning to upgrade to something around 1300 i just want to know if i would have to rewire it or not

Solution

Modular PSU cables are NOT standardized, even among the same brand.

This carries a significant risk of letting the magic smoke out of something.

USAFRet

Titan

Modular PSU cables are NOT standardized, even among the same brand.

This carries a significant risk of letting the magic smoke out of something.

Solution
Jul 26, 2018

so i'll have to rewire it if i buy a new psu than i mainly just want to know because the most annoying part of building my pc was the wiring

Jul 26, 2018

another quick question can a 1080ti run on a 750B with an i7 6700K and 16gb of ram?

USAFRet

Titan

A single GPU on a 750w PSU? Yes.
No need for a 1300w PSU.

Jul 26, 2018

the 1300w was for when i eventually add another gpu and i forgot to ask this as well nvidia did some sort of update where you can use different gpus at the same time to sorta boost the processing power right? rather than buying a new one so like i could have a 1080ti and a 1060 together rather than only having two 1080s

NVIDIA does not allow disparate graphics cards to be paired, plus they limit pairing to only high end GPUs in the hopes they sell more high end GPUs. A 1060 can't SLI pair with any other GPU. A 1080 Ti can only SLI with another 1080 Ti.

While very select few DirectX 12 titles have had support for disparate graphics cards to be used together, the trend so far is that you get very poor scaling, worse than had you just matched the cards in the first place. There is no gain from trying to pair up unmatched cards until somebody invents a better magic sauce, and that's not been done yet.