[SOLVED] Can you take a look at my potential build?

egderic

Honorable
Jun 14, 2018
Hi there,

I'm building a work PC for my girlfriend. This is not for gaming, but she'd like the option to be able to upgrade it for that later if there's ever a game she's into that really needs it.
It's important to her that this PC be as quiet as possible.

She'll be using this mainly for: Excel, Microsoft word, remote desktop, web browsing and some random apps her university uses.

She asked if I could keep it under $800 CA if possible, but the cheaper the better. Any advice on saving money would be good.

OK, so here goes:

Case: Fractal Design Focus G Black Window ATX Mid Tower

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H410M-E LGA1200 (Intel® 10th Gen)

Power supply: EVGA 500 W1 100-W1-0500-KR 80+ WHITE 500W

Processor: Intel Core i3-10100 Comet Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1200 65W BX8070110100

Processor heat sink/fan:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2 CPU Air Cooler

RAM: OLOy DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) 2666 MHz CL19

SSD: WD Blue™ 3D NAND SATAIII SSD, 1TB

Wifi card: TP-Link AC1200 PCIe

The only thing left is a few fans for the box. I was thinking 2 in front, 1 in the back.

First off, will this even run? I believe I selected parts that are compatible with each other, but I might have missed something.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
This should be good...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor | $171.00 @ Vuugo
CPU Cooler | be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler | $39.99 @ Canada Computers
Motherboard | MSI B460M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $129.80 @ Vuugo
Memory | Team T-FORCE DARK Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $94.99 @ Canada Computers
Storage | ADATA Swordfish 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $124.99 @ Memory Express
Video Card | Asus GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Phoenix Fan OC Video Card | $114.99 @ Memory Express
Case | Fractal Design Focus G...
Hi there,

I'm building a work PC for my girlfriend. This is not for gaming, but she'd like the option to be able to upgrade it for that later if there's ever a game she's into that really needs it.
It's important to her that this PC be as quiet as possible.

She'll be using this mainly for: Excel, Microsoft word, remote desktop, web browsing and some random apps her university uses.

She asked if I could keep it under $800 CA if possible, but the cheaper the better. Any advice on saving money would be good.

OK, so here goes:

Case: Fractal Design Focus G Black Window ATX Mid Tower

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H410M-E LGA1200 (Intel® 10th Gen)

Power supply: EVGA 500 W1 100-W1-0500-KR 80+ WHITE 500W

Processor: Intel Core i3-10100 Comet Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1200 65W BX8070110100

Processor heat sink/fan:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2 CPU Air Cooler

RAM: OLOy DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) 2666 MHz CL19

SSD: WD Blue™ 3D NAND SATAIII SSD, 1TB

Wifi card: TP-Link AC1200 PCIe

The only thing left is a few fans for the box. I was thinking 2 in front, 1 in the back.

First off, will this even run? I believe I selected parts that are compatible with each other, but I might have missed something.
Hello there!!
I have went with the AMD route here as the integrated graphics in this outperforms intels igpu so you can play light games on this without a dgpu. Yes the CPU is a bit overpriced at $356 but you can surely lookout when product comes in stock in other sites and you can get it for as low as $200.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rCd3nL

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021
u should make this an amd build and if you want to make this as quiet as possible use a "be quiet" heatsink. the dark rock 4/3 are a bit more expensive than the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2 CPU Air Cooler but the 2 is still really good. 2 fans in front and 2 at the back will work perfectly.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Ok, when you ask anyone what they want the computer to do they will say I NEED it for:
"Excel, Microsoft word, remote desktop, web browsing and some random apps her university uses"
Then they add in a wish list-games/video editing/compiling/that VR they heard so much about...hehehe

Build for what they say they need while giving them upgrade options. With your girlfriend's needs, you want it quiet and weighed more towards CPU than GPU.

Your system will fit the bill as is,but this is what I would do:

I have the exact case-great case for the money,BTW. I bought it for the 5.25 bays-I back up to DVD. People seem to get emotional about this for some bizarre reason,but I want 5.25 bays on my case! Tell your GF she can hit Redbox and rent a movie on dvd or BluRay and play it. Sounds like she will love that feature.

But with the case,I wouldn't buy extra fans because that will add to noise level and cost. The only ding I give to this excellent case is they give you 2 LL Silent fans (great!),but they put them both in the front...Take one and put in the back. Then after you have the system built, test the temps. If it is too high then bite the bullet and add a fan.

That being said, I would partially agree with poongmonster in the above comment and make it an AMD build. Mostly because the AMD CPUs made in the last few years use way less power to their Intel counterpart. That means less power,less heat,and hence less noise.

honestly,the rig I'm writing this on right now sounds just perfect for her. I am using an HP M01-1024g. It has the Ryzen 7 4700g that will even let me play RDR2 decently and the CPU aspect is close to a Ryzen 3600x.

But,any CPU made in the last 4-5 years will eat "Excel, Microsoft word, remote desktop, web browsing and some random apps her university" alive. She is going to use it basically for web browsing.

Reactions: CountMike

egderic

Honorable
Jun 14, 2018
But with the case,I wouldn't buy extra fans because that will add to noise level and cost.
I read on SilentPC that more fans = less noise, since there's more of them, they don't need to move as fast. Quieter to have 3 fans running at a medium speed than 1 fan at a high speed. I haven't tested this though.

I have the exact case-great case for the money,BTW. I bought it for the 5.25 bays-I back up to DVD. People seem to get emotional about this for some bizarre reason,but I want 5.25 bays on my case! Tell your GF she can hit Redbox and rent a movie on dvd or BluRay and play it. Sounds like she will love that feature.

Lol, I don't think they have Red Box in Montreal, I haven't seen those around. She's more of a Netflix/Prime/Torrentz kind of girl anyway. Good to have the option of putting an optical drive there if she ever wants one though. She's more likely to want additional USB ports, which is also do-able!

@General Kenobi: Wow, that's an interesting build! The Ryzen is more expensive, but the other parts that go with it are less, so it makes up for it a little. This one's really not for gaming though, so if it's going to cost extra to have games, I don't know if it's worth it. But if you tell me the Ryzen is faster and quieter, I'll have to consider it.

I have a Razer Blade stealth laptop that a friend sold me for a really good price about 2 years ago. She was using it to work from home for a year before it warped. Past warranty, we had to pay them $99 US for shipping/diagnosis, then another $99US to have it repaired/replace the battery + shipped back. She's using my home PC right now, and I'm using the tower that my work provided. Razer got back to me later saying: "Oh, we didn't have any more batteries in stock, do you want a new laptop that's way better at no additional cost?" I told her she can just use that one, and use a cooling pad this time - save herself a ton of money - but she thinks that Razer's laptops just aren't built for 8 hours a day of work + occasional gaming.

Last edited:

jtk2515

Distinguished
Hello there!!
I have went with the AMD route here as the integrated graphics in this outperforms intels igpu so you can play light games on this without a dgpu. Yes the CPU is a bit overpriced at $356 but you can surely lookout when product comes in stock in other sites and you can get it for as low as $200.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rCd3nL

Think about getting a 3200g for 100$ on amazon. Then selling it on facebook if you want to upgrade.

This should be good...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor | $171.00 @ Vuugo
CPU Cooler | be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler | $39.99 @ Canada Computers
Motherboard | MSI B460M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $129.80 @ Vuugo
Memory | Team T-FORCE DARK Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $94.99 @ Canada Computers
Storage | ADATA Swordfish 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $124.99 @ Memory Express
Video Card | Asus GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Phoenix Fan OC Video Card | $114.99 @ Memory Express
Case | Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case | $56.72 @ Vuugo
Power Supply | Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $59.75 @ Vuugo
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $792.23
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-01 11:58 EDT-0400 |

Reactions: General Kenobi
Solution
@General Kenobi: Wow, that's an interesting build! The Ryzen is more expensive, but the other parts that go with it are less, so it makes up for it a little. This one's really not for gaming though, so if it's going to cost extra to have games, I don't know if it's worth it. But if you tell me the Ryzen is faster and quieter, I'll have to consider it.
Faster than i3 no it isn't, also the use case is pretty light so it wouldn't show any difference although when it comes to the igpu AMD demolishes the igpu of i3 so you can avoid a dgpu with AMD. As I mentioned the price of the CPU are changing, yesterday when I mentioned the processor it was $356 but later $377 but if you can check vuugo(ig that's the website) you find it for $199.66 at that price your build is going to be within $700. You can also check the pc recommended by @Hellfire13 it might too op for the use case but in future you can replace the GPU and it would become a full fledged gaming pc.
Check this video for comparison between GT1030 and Vega igpu
View: https://youtu.be/_fPwI0waZmM