Can you tarnsfer toner between different cartridges.

RcPro97

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Hey everyone.
I've got a brother HL-2140 laser printer that recently ran out of toner, it uses a TN-2150 cartridge.
I often pick up old printers from dumpster diving, since they are fun to take apart and have a few useful parts. So I've got a TN-3030 toner I pulled from a dumpster find.

Wondering weather it would be a good idea to take the toner out of the TN-3030 toner, and put it into the TN-2150 toner so I can use it.
My original cartage still has the sticker over the plug, so this would be the first time it's been refilled like this.

I know this is going to get messy! But is there anything I should know before I do this?

Thanks!

Solution
Generally no. The toner for each printer requires particles with a specific diameter to function properly.

In this case though, they're both Brother printers so they may use the same diameter toner particles. I'd suggest contacting Brother but they'll probably ignore you since you're trying to avoid buying new Brother toner. Try contacting a toner refill company - they should know what size toner particles goes into each cartridge. I use AAAToner in Rancho Cucamonga since they are local, and they've been good about answering my questions in the past.

http://www.aaatoner.com/
Generally no. The toner for each printer requires particles with a specific diameter to function properly.

In this case though, they're both Brother printers so they may use the same diameter toner particles. I'd suggest contacting Brother but they'll probably ignore you since you're trying to avoid buying new Brother toner. Try contacting a toner refill company - they should know what size toner particles goes into each cartridge. I use AAAToner in Rancho Cucamonga since they are local, and they've been good about answering my questions in the past.

http://www.aaatoner.com/

Solution
Dec 31, 2018
Theoretically it works if the toners of Brother are all original ones, if you are unable to certain that, then it is not suggested to do so because you may broke you printer down.