[SOLVED] Can you tell the difference at high PPI

nonstandarderror

Prominent
Jul 29, 2018
Hi,

I've seen a lot of people say that the best size for a 4k monitor is 27 inches and that 24 inches is not ideal. Obviously, at the same resolution, the PPI is going to go down as you increase the screen size. Having not owned a lot of different displays, I was hoping people with more experience could give me some input on whether you can really tell the difference between say 220 PPI (my macbook pro) and 185 (4k 24 inch) and 163 (4k 27 inch).

If there is a difference, I'd be curious to know where one tends to notice it the most - games, movies, basic comp programs like MS Office, browsing the net, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Go to a store and look at it if you can. There isn't a substitute for that as it's a personal preference and also affected by the person's ability to notice the difference. Some people just aren't visually acute. There isn't going to be much difference from 27" to 24" but you may see the difference from 27" to your mbp.

High dpi does look amazing when looking at photos/media. It looks like printed photos (which is usually 300 dpi) but for most other uses, there's not much point. Although most software scales well, when it doesn't, it makes it rather unusable.
Go to a store and look at it if you can. There isn't a substitute for that as it's a personal preference and also affected by the person's ability to notice the difference. Some people just aren't visually acute. There isn't going to be much difference from 27" to 24" but you may see the difference from 27" to your mbp.

High dpi does look amazing when looking at photos/media. It looks like printed photos (which is usually 300 dpi) but for most other uses, there's not much point. Although most software scales well, when it doesn't, it makes it rather unusable.

Solution