Question Can you test a hard drive without mounting it to case?

Aug 10, 2021
Hi there.
I found some old HDD's while going through my parents storage and was wondering if there is a way to test the drives health and content without mounting it with a bracket or screws?
Is it possible to just plug in the SATA cable and power supply cable and leave it on a flat surface or does it need to be mounted on the HDD rack in my case?

Thank you, Aaron

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Hi there.
I found some old HDD's while going through my parents storage and was wondering if there is a way to test the drives health and content without mounting it with a bracket or screws?
Is it possible to just plug in the SATA cable and power supply cable and leave it on a flat surface or does it need to be mounted on the HDD rack in my case?

Thank you, Aaron
Yes.

But I much prefer using a docking station. That way, you can turn the drive on independently of the PC.
VERY helpful if you suspect a damaged drive, or malware.

A faulty drive connected via the regular cables to the motherboard may prevent the system from actually booting.

Aug 10, 2021
Yes.

But I much prefer using a docking station. That way, you can turn the drive on independently of the PC.
VERY helpful if you suspect a damaged drive, or malware.

A faulty drive connected via the regular cables to the motherboard may prevent the system from actually booting.
Thank you so much for your response! This looks like a much safer alternative. I appreicate it thank you!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS