Can you transfer a downloaded copy of Windows 8 to a USB?

Dec 7, 2013
I'm building a new PC with no prior OS, and I'm looking at the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade - Student Offer, which is only available as an Internet download. Is there any way to get this offer to my new PC, preferably without purchasing another OS to upgrade from first?

Solution
Upgrade disks are also full version clean install disks ever since Win 7 and possibly Vista (can't remember about Vista). Windows 8 also has all versions already on the disk and your key determines which version you're allowed to install without needing to ask you which version you want, I believe Win 7 was the same way because I have a Win 7 disk that asks which version I want to install (Home Premium, Pro, Enterprise, Ultimate), although I edited that ISO to specifically ask during install since its hidden by default.

You should be fine with the upgrade if you have a Windows key from a previous version of Windows. It may ask for that key during install.

Look at this...
Dec 7, 2013
Dec 7, 2013
Okay thanks for the help, but I'm hearing now that what I actually need is the System Builder version, and that this distribution model is new to Windows 8; upgrade versions like the one I'm talking about are just that - upgrades, and if you visited the page there, it says that a previous Windows OS is needed from which to upgrade. Apparently these System Builder copies are cheaper than the upgrades anyway, plus I do get a 10% student discount, but otherwise, I definitely would've gone with the USB/disc transfer tool. But thanks anyways guys, I'll keep it in mind next time I'm doing a system upgrade or building a new computer.

ldewitt

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
Ah yeah i guess i didn't read your post entirely you are correct upgrade is just an upgrade. So IE: If you have vista or windows 7 you can pop that disc in and use windows anytime upgrade and upgrade your system to windows 8 keeping documents pictures programs ect.

PinchedNerve

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Upgrade disks are also full version clean install disks ever since Win 7 and possibly Vista (can't remember about Vista). Windows 8 also has all versions already on the disk and your key determines which version you're allowed to install without needing to ask you which version you want, I believe Win 7 was the same way because I have a Win 7 disk that asks which version I want to install (Home Premium, Pro, Enterprise, Ultimate), although I edited that ISO to specifically ask during install since its hidden by default.

You should be fine with the upgrade if you have a Windows key from a previous version of Windows. It may ask for that key during install.

Look at this. http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648

Solution