Can you treat a multiple-input monitor as two monitors on the same system?

notneps

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014
For simplicity's sake, let's say i have two HDMI inputs on my monitor, and my GPU has two HDMI ports. Can I hook both up, and have an extended desktop that I can only see one half of at any given time? (as I'd have to switch inputs on the monitor) Basically pretend that the same monitor is two identical monitors. The monitor is connected to a laptop, and even if I switch inputs, the other monitor is still "there" as far as the laptop is concerned.

-no, I'm not actually going to work with it, just curious
-I'd try myself, but I don't have another HDMI cable within reach right now.

Solution
1) Yes, or probably. However, you may have a problem, depending on the video card, drivers, and monitor - the machine will only recognize a monitor on the port if it gets some sort of signal I don't understand, and if the monitor does not acknowledge port 1 while port 2 is in use then the PC will never see that you have two monitors. I've had this problem a couple of times.

2) It's easier to do this in software, with a virtual desktop.
1) Yes, or probably. However, you may have a problem, depending on the video card, drivers, and monitor - the machine will only recognize a monitor on the port if it gets some sort of signal I don't understand, and if the monitor does not acknowledge port 1 while port 2 is in use then the PC will never see that you have two monitors. I've had this problem a couple of times.

2) It's easier to do this in software, with a virtual desktop.

Solution