[SOLVED] Can You Turn a 12600K Into a 12600?

Regev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
I'm trying to make a 12600K into a 65 TDP CPU (trying to keep it silent in a small case).

What should I change in the bios to turn it into a 12600 non-K ?

Thanks,
Reg

Solution
if power consumption/heat dissipation is an issue you can always tweak it via Control Panel (Advanced Power Mgmt).
you can limit max wattage/current supplied in most bioses too if it's that important. (alternatively you can disable E-cores if the extra threads aren't needed)

even the 12600 can use over 115W fully loaded though

Regev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
I use it as an indicator of sorts. I mean, say a case that passively cools the CPU (like Streacom or HDFLEX) lists 65W TDP CPUs as compatible (highly recommending not to go with more-performant CPUs), so Id try to emulate the profile of a 65TDP CPU, like the 12600 non-K.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You should be targeting the settings needed to hit the desired temperature, not targeting the settings needed to hit a specific CPU. You do that with extensive testing temperature while using your equipment, not simply trying to make a CPU into another, very specific, CPU.

Reactions: Hellfire13
if power consumption/heat dissipation is an issue you can always tweak it via Control Panel (Advanced Power Mgmt).
you can limit max wattage/current supplied in most bioses too if it's that important. (alternatively you can disable E-cores if the extra threads aren't needed)

even the 12600 can use over 115W fully loaded though

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX
Solution
I'm trying to make a 12600K into a 65 TDP CPU (trying to keep it silent in a small case).

Thanks,
Reg
If you have a Z690 I would look at underclocking and/or undervolting to get the CPU down to your desired noise/temperature level. The 12600K has an all P core boost of 4.5Ghz, if you were to run it at 4Ghz for example, it will likely run a lot quieter. You could also apply a small negative voltage offset to the vcore.

(trying to keep it silent in a small case).
Set your fans in bios to only go as high as they keep silent and leave everything else as is, if you don't like to see high CPU temps set a target temp in bios as well, that way it will be silent and your CPU will still run as fast as possible under the given conditions instead of running at a "flat rate" that you set.

Handicapping a 12600k seems like a really reverse thing to want to do. Consider a Pentium Gold G7400 at 46 watts or an i3-12100 at 60w to 89w, then either flog the 12600k or use it in a system that can properly allow it to do what its supposed to do.
Poor 12600k !

Last edited:

Thanks,
Reg
The compute circuitry is essentially the same between the two processors.
In the bios, you could disable the extra 4 E cores, as well as reducing the base multiplier.
This likely would require a more sophisticated Z690 motherboard.
But, I think this attempt would not be a good way to handle a possible heat situation.

Many motherboards will set the default bios settings to maximum performance and maximum turbo frequencies.
You could fiddle with such settings.

I think though, one should run with full performance until you detect heat as an issue.
Games, for instance will benefit from high turbo clocks on one or two cores.
Games will rarely make efficient use of more than 4-6 threads.

OTOH, if you are running multithreaded batch apps, then the more efficient E cores would be good to use,
and heat can become an issue.

A good cooler and a good cooling case helps.
A small case does not necessarily imply high temperatures.
Good airflow matters more than size.

What is the make/model of the prospective case and cpu cooler?

Regev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
A good cooler and a good cooling case helps.
A small case does not necessarily imply high temperatures.
Good airflow matters more than size.

What is the make/model of the prospective case and cpu cooler?

Wait, so if you cool the stock 12600K with something like a Big Shuriken 3 or L12s, in an open case, it should keep it cool enough?

Last edited:
Not really.
It will cool better than most cases, but if let run wild the 12600k will overwhelm either of them with fans at max speed.
They are made for lower powered chips AND "silent operation".
A media machine in the living room/library. That is very quiet.
Not a high performance processor.
It would run but at reduced performance and very high temps, and thermal throttling on full load.

Reactions: Regev
I'm trying to make a 12600K into a 65W TDP CPU
That is easy to do. All Intel CPUs use two turbo power limits to control power consumption. If the BIOS does not give you access to these power limits, you can use software like ThrottleStop to set the power limits to whatever values you like.

Here is an example. A 10850K has a 125W TDP rating and can run at over 300W if you let it. That would not be good in a small computer. To convert a 10850K into a 65W CPU, open up the ThrottleStop Limit Reasons window, change PL1 and PL2 to 65W and check both Clamp options so maximum power consumption is clamped to these values. Any half decent bios will give you access to PL1 and PL2 but the bios rarely gives you access to the two Clamp options.

1tw7vuo.png

Using the built in TS Bench test, it is able to run a 4 Thread load at an average speed of 4711 MHz. The CPU speed is constantly adjusted so power consumption does not exceed 65W.

TIJVaVP.png

An 8 thread load would normally need more power compared to a 4 thread load. Because the power limits are both set to 65W, the CPU automatically slows down so it does not exceed 65W. Now the CPU is only running at 3200 MHz. This all happens automatically. No worries about this power hungry CPU going nuclear.

98WX3WZ.png

The world's first 10 core 65W CPU.
Regardless of load, it will not exceed 65W so it is easy to cool.

ThrottleStop 9.4.3 supports the 12th Gen CPUs.

Reactions: Why_Me and Regev
How about a 12500 or a 11500 (both non-K) ?
The title in your post inquired about a I5-12600K and how to cripple it.
Perhaps you should go back and explain your application needs better.
Do you have a 12600K now, or any other parts for that matter.
Clearly a 12500 and 11500 are lesser performing parts than a 12600K.
But, they are both excellent performers for the price, and they include decent stock coolers.

Reactions: Why_Me
Feb 20, 2022
Have to agree on a different processor. Cutting the legs out from a processor to get it to perform like a less expensive one that is designed to do what you want. I haven't seen any of the i5 T processors yet but running 35-74 W, it seems $200 will go a long way in your build.

Regev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
It's because the only relevant 12th gen left on the Intel employee store is the 12600K ($150) . There are the 11th gen i5s for $90-99 (11400 and 11500, I think, or 11500/11600)

It's because the only relevant 12th gen left on the Intel employee store is the 12600K ($150) . There are the 11th gen i5s for $90-99 (11400 and 11500, I think, or 11500/11600)
At that price,the 12600k would be hard to bypass.
No matter the cooler, the processor will not be damaged and you will be able to adjust things in many ways.
Likely, you will have no problem at all.
Try it first.

Is it noticeably stronger than the 11600 ?
Yes. The I5-11600 has 12 processing threads and a passmark rating of 18388. That is when all 12 threads are fully utilized.
The single thread rating is 3296. For most, the single thread performance is what makes a pc quick:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-11800H+@+2.30GHz&id=4358

By comparison, the I5-12600K has 16 threads and a rating of 27025/3972
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-12600K&id=4603