[SOLVED] Can you turn monitor off with the pc on?

May 30, 2021
I have my pc on all day and my monitor too but I want to start turning my monitor off when I’m not at my pc. Is it fine to shut the monitor off while the pc is on?

Solution
What do you mean by move to another location? Also a bit of a second hand question. Can a monitor that overheats damage my GPU?
If you're icons are in a specific location or an app, then it may move to however windows thinks the default should be. Apps usually get moved to the upper left corner of the screen.
If you have multiple monitors on this then, depending on how they are connected (dvi/vga doesn't do this) then everything would get moved to the primary monitor.
D

Deleted member 14196

No the monitor cannot damage the GPU and it’s totally safe to turn the monitor off when you’re not using it with the PC running

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Sure you can. I do that everytime I left the PC on overnight just so that the monitor isn't disturbing my sleep.

No, an overheating monitor will kill itself (if it comes to that) and nothing else. No heat is going through the display cable.

popatim

Titan
What do you mean by move to another location? Also a bit of a second hand question. Can a monitor that overheats damage my GPU?
If you're icons are in a specific location or an app, then it may move to however windows thinks the default should be. Apps usually get moved to the upper left corner of the screen.
If you have multiple monitors on this then, depending on how they are connected (dvi/vga doesn't do this) then everything would get moved to the primary monitor.

Solution
I might suggest that you use sleep to ram(no hibernate)
That will put the pc and the monitor into a very low power state that is essentially like fully shut down. Sleep/wake becomes a few seconds.
A tap on the keyboard wakes both up.

To answer your question, yes, you can power off a monitor while the pc is active.
No harm will come.

Heat is what can damage a monitor. See that there is airflow to the cooling vents of the monitor.

TRENDING THREADS