[SOLVED] can you turn off multiple things with the power button [SOLVED]

Solution
Neither gets completely powered off unless you unplug them.
But, shutdown puts both the pc and the monitor into a very low power state that is very close to powered off.

Sleep will also do that and sleep to ram is much faster to sleep and wake than power off/on.
But, shutdown puts both the pc and the monitor into a very low power state that is very close to powered off.

Sleep will also do that and sleep to ram is much faster to sleep and wake than power off/on.

Solution
Jan 13, 2020

sad to hear and thanks for the info

That was "possible" back in '80s and early '90s, when computer' power buttons were really toggle switches which controlled the mains power to computer' PSU, and monitors were commonly powered by slave cable plugged into computer' PSU.

These days, you'll need additional hardware like this USB-controlled power strip

I used to use those pass-through power cables all the time, pretty neat feature.

You can just simply use a surge protector and click it off to fully power off the hardware, this is what I do. My laptop, monitor, desk lights, external sound card, powered usb hub all go in one surge protector. I just shut down the computer, click the power button on the surge protector with my toe and desk goes dark.

They even make ones with clamps and under monitor ones. I may actually get one of the under monitor ones and slide it under the shelf my monitor sits on.

https://www.tripplite.com/protect-i...s-2-usb-charging-ports-2-1a-total~TLP606DMUSB

A0370165.jpg

Last edited: