Can you turn off/on the dedicated GPU in a Laptop at will?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Hi. I am fairly knowledgeble when it comes to desktops, but I have never had a gaming laptop. I was planning to buy one maybe, and I was trying to buy a more or less budget version.

Anyways, since the batterylife is important in a laptop, a dedicated GPU is of course a big dissadvantage in that regard.

So in a Laptop with the newer intel CPU's, (second gen i5 and better), since they have intergrated GPU's (afaik) can I switch between a dedicated GPU and the GPU of the CPU?

Solution
There are still some older systems around that can only use one GPU or the other and can't switch between them. Nearly any new system with both devices will support the desired capability.

Do you have any specific systems in mind at this point?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There are still some older systems around that can only use one GPU or the other and can't switch between them. Nearly any new system with both devices will support the desired capability.

Do you have any specific systems in mind at this point?

Solution
Pretty much ALL laptops today have switchable graphics. Either via NVidia Optimus (which I despise), or the old fashion manual GPU switching (which in my opinion is more beneficiary).

Reason why I don't like optimus is that NVidia GPUs loose a ton of their features when doing so. Like DSR, triple displays, 3d vision, SLI etc. This is because the Intel IGPU still displays the final image to the physical display...

Status
Not open for further replies.