[SOLVED] Can you ue dvd bay to house new laptop speakers?

diapolical

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
Is it possible to take out the dvd in a laptop and use the space for a single or set of speakers?
Is there a soundcard available that could plug into the port that the DVD drive ordinarily uses?
Or would you need some sort of sata to usb adapter?
Please note, I am not asking if anything would fit in there physically (although it would be great if there was an off-the-shelf unit with sound card and speakers that slots nicely into the DVD bay)
Rather I am asking about compatability.
Thank you for your advice.

Solution
Is it possible to take out the dvd in a laptop and use the space for a single or set of speakers?
Is there a soundcard available that could plug into the port that the DVD drive ordinarily uses?
Please note, I am not asking if anything would fit in there physically (although it would be great if there was an off-the-shelf unit with sound card and speakers that slots nicely into the DVD bay)

You can unhook the existing speakers and run the cable to the speaker you want to put in the DVD drive. Or maybe splice the speaker wire and route the splice to the DVD bay. Actually sounds like a nice idea to add a sort...
OOD space is way to thin to house speakers any better that inbuilt ones and interface is SATA or mini SATA which are not compatible with any sound device.

You can unhook the existing speakers and run the cable to the speaker you want to put in the DVD drive. Or maybe splice the speaker wire and route the splice to the DVD bay. Actually sounds like a nice idea to add a sort of sub to a laptop, use the DVD bay and stick a downward firing speaker in there.

Not sure why you are talking about a SATA to USB adapter, you would not use either of those connections for a speaker to sit in a DVD bay. I can't think of any USB speaker that would fit in a DVD bay of a laptop, you would need to mount the bare speaker there.

Solution