Can you unplug a raid card and plug it into a different PC and have it still recognize all data?

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Ive got a Kabini Plex media server. the Kabini platform does NOT have more than 2 SATA ports. as a result of this I had to get a raid card. (some cheepie but it works). Ive had it running for years but realize now that I wish I had gotten a different motherboard for HDMI output, and more PCI connectivity than the ASROCK AM1B-M I have.

Heres the question. Say I get an ASUS motherboard with more connectivity for my needs and do the swap. upon booting up will the data on the raid array still be there? is going to be the same install of windows on the same boot HDD, and same Raid setup, same raid card, just different motherboard and possibly different PCIe slot.

I know I'm going to backup the data before I do the transfer just want to know if it would work before I try something stupid and create problems with my $30 Raid card.

Solution
As far as I know, the RAID setup, disk layout and all that is stored on the RAID controller so as long as you move that and the disks over (and connect them in same places) it should work.. just like that.

Taking the controller out should not clear the RAID setup because... then it would happen on each shutdown since PCI lanes (or PCI-E for that matter) don't have electricity supply while power is off. (unlike some few USB ports, possibly)
This means that all the data is stored on the card or.. card has a BIOS battery. I would suspect the first choice.
As far as I know, the RAID setup, disk layout and all that is stored on the RAID controller so as long as you move that and the disks over (and connect them in same places) it should work.. just like that.

Taking the controller out should not clear the RAID setup because... then it would happen on each shutdown since PCI lanes (or PCI-E for that matter) don't have electricity supply while power is off. (unlike some few USB ports, possibly)
This means that all the data is stored on the card or.. card has a BIOS battery. I would suspect the first choice.

Solution