Can you update the bios of a Z170 board with a 7th gen cpu?

klaudmjj

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
I got a Z170 board. Do you need a 6th gen cpu to update the bios to support the 7th gen cpu's?
I'm just wondering because I would rather buy the 7th gen cpu instead of the 6th as I know that Z170 supports 7th gen cpus. So could I buy a 7th gen cpu, and then get a bios update from another computer and flash the bios using the 7th gen CPU? Or will I have to use the 6th gen cpu.
The board I have is an Asrock Z170 Extreme 4.

Solution
You need bios 7.0 which was released 10/07/2016.
If your motherboard is new stock, it should have the enabling bios already installed.

If you find that the bios is not sufficiently current, take the motherboard to a local repair shop who can do the flash for a modest fee.

as far as i know, u need a 6th gen CPU in order to update the BIOS
in order to flash a BIOS, u have to succesfully enter the windows, download the file, and then let the program gets updated
so u need a CPU that works with the previous BIOS in order to access it in the first place
unless the board supports BIOS updates from a USB flash drive, in which case, u can download it from other PC / laptop, put it on FD, and just update it through there

an alternative though, u can just ask the seller / a local shop to update it for you instead

You need bios 7.0 which was released 10/07/2016.
If your motherboard is new stock, it should have the enabling bios already installed.

If you find that the bios is not sufficiently current, take the motherboard to a local repair shop who can do the flash for a modest fee.

Solution

klaudmjj

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017

So the motherboard should already have the bios which initially supports the 7th gen cpu's?

Latest posts