Question Can you upgrade motherboards in an office PC?

May 5, 2019
I was thinking about getting a dell optiplex 790 minitower and was wondering if I could get a AM4 motherboard to put in it to increase the upgradeability. Would this work or should I get something like a second gen i7?

ebosss03

Reputable
May 1, 2018
maby a micro-atx board but you have to know how much space you have got to fit in the motherboard. So we need to know the size inside the dell. And also doing this requires a full system reset so it might take some time not to mention voiding warrenty.

USAFRet

Titan
I was thinking about getting a dell optiplex 790 minitower and was wondering if I could get a AM4 motherboard to put in it to increase the upgradeability. Would this work or should I get something like a second gen i7?
Basically, you'd just be keeping the case?
New motherboard = new CPU, new RAM.
Coming from an Optiplex = probably a new PSU.
The physical hard drive you can keep, buut you'd have to do a full wipe and reinstall.

And keeping the Dell case only counts if it is not one of their proprietaty systems.

So basically, you're building a whole new PC.

May 5, 2019
Basically, you'd just be keeping the case?
New motherboard = new CPU, new RAM.
Coming from an Optiplex = probably a new PSU.
The physical hard drive you can keep, buut you'd have to do a full wipe and reinstall.

And keeping the Dell case only counts if it is not one of their proprietaty systems.

So basically, you're building a whole new PC.
So should I just get a i7 2700k instead of going through all of that trouble?