Can you upgrade to any version of Windows 7 from the Windows 7 RC?

aaaaayum

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Hi so I just ordered the Professional version of Windows 7 upgrade. I figured out I can't just upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Win 7 professional so my next line of action is to see if I can upgrade from the RC to Professional. Is it possible to do so?

Mooglesrcute

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
What does the 'upgrade' version of windows 7 entail?

Running beta of windows 7, looking to purchase. Don't have a copy of xp or vista, does that mean i can't buy the upgrade, and have to *cring* pay full price!?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I upgraded from 7 beta to 7 RC just fine, thank you. If I had a copy of RTM, I'd try upgrading to that as well.

As to 'upgrading' from Vista Ultimate to win 7 professional, I see nothing on the MS forums that suggest that is not possible, and many posts that state that it is. Patiently waiting for Oct 20~ish to see the real answers...

You have never been able to upgrade Release Candidates to Release To Manufacturing versions. If you were, you would not need a previous paid version of Windows to perform the upgrade.

What does the 'upgrade' version of windows 7 entail?

Running beta of windows 7, looking to purchase. Don't have a copy of xp or vista, does that mean i can't buy the upgrade, and have to *cring* pay full price!?

You'll have to buy a full retail or OEM copy... no upgrade. You must have either Vista or XP to be eligible for the upgrade. OEM versions are usually priced about the same as the retail upgrade anyway... so you won't be spending that much more money. However, keep in mind that with OEM, it is not meant to be moved from one computer to another... it's meant to remain with that computer.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Yes... When you upgrade from "nothing" to the full version, you pay full price...