Can you upgrade video ram on a k55a

armo4444

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Right now my Video RAM is at 64MB and i really want something much higher than that. is there any way to do that?

That notebook uses Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 4000. If I remember right, the 4000 can use up to 1GB of system ram for the display, depending of course, on how much ram is installed to begin with. So I'm not sure where you are getting this 64MB number from.

armo4444

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

Right now it has 4gb of ram but it says it only has 64mb of dedicated video ram. how can i get it to use up to 1GB? How can i find out my video card specs?

armo4444

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

Once im in the BIOS how would i do that?

It doesn't really matter. The hd 4000 has no dedicated memory and is using your ram as vram. Windows should be sharing 1gb with it. You can see in dxdiag. More vram won't make a difference as it is just too weak. The only reason for more is if you need more monitors but it is plenty for 3 monitors which is the max it supports.

armo4444

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

damn:/ is there a way i can integrate another graphics card? not having to replace it but just put a new one?

The hd 4000 is integrated on the cpu. Most discrete laptop gpus are soldered on the mobo. That is a low end model and was never meant for gaming.

However, your mpcie is easily accessed from the bottom panel so you could do a diy egpu setup. But mpcie is usually where your wireless card is connected to. Most people don't go with the epgu route because of price. It is usually better to sell the laptop and get one with a better gpu.