Question Can you use a DVR at a different location than address where service is located?

piikea1

Reputable
Aug 20, 2017
I have Cox cable w/ a DVR rented from them in CA but I have to spend a month in VA w/ relatives who also have Cox cable but no DVR (or service) - if I took my DVR there & hooked it up would it work to watch already recorded shows &/or to record other shows (just as it would at my home)?

piikea1

Reputable
Aug 20, 2017
I suppose it should work (for replay) even without cable connected. You can try this while still in CA - power it off, unscrew the cable, unplug telephone / Ethernet if connected, and try it.
I unscrewed the cable & tried playing a previously recorded show - it played initially but the controls were laggy &/or wouldn't work at all then within a few minutes the DVR basically powered off!? So, apparently it won't work when not connected to the cable (for w/e reasons I can't make sense of).

Back to my original proposition idk if connected to a cable connection in a different location (& state) whether it'd work or not. Idk if there is something in the signal identifying the location, DVR, whether you have DVR service, etc that would prevent it from working properly. Playback would more important than recording new stuff there.