[SOLVED] Can you use a PC only with an SSD

DanteKid

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I've been looking at PC builds lately from YouTubers like Linus or TechSource and I've been seeing them using a 240/480 GB SSD in cheap builds lately. I'm using a 1 TB HDD and a 120 GB SSD for my OS and a multiplayer game and I have about 15 GB empty on the SSD. I always loved playing games I missed during my childhood and I always have at least one 5 year old game on my PC and the rest of the Steam Library and I have about 300 GB at most times. I know this can not be the case for everyone and 480 GB is enough for most of you since SSDs have fallen in price the last 6 months, but I just don't see why you would recommend people a low capacity SSD when you can get 2 TB of HDD for the same price as a 480 GB SSD?

Solution
For most users the SSD would be a better initial investment.
You can always tack on an HDD later if you need more bulk storage, its harder to justify buying a larger SSD when you already own an SSD+HDD.

USAFRet

Titan
No, what I meant was, should you buy a 240 GB SSD instead of a 1 TB HDD when you're running a tight budget
Depends on your space needs.

If you need more than 200GB...then the 240GB SSD won't work.
However, if you've ever used a system with an SSD, you won't want to go back to watching the paint dry while an HDD spins up.

That level of basic choice is all up to you.

That really depends on your budget and use.
For me, I have too much data in photos to keep on a small SSD like that right off the bat, mostly because I cant afford a large enough SSD. So id go small SSD and HDD over a moderate sized SSD.
If I had the budget, I would absolutely go SSD first then add storage later.

I just have a 1TB SSD then when that was nearly full I bought a 500GB SSD for my Blizzard and Origin Library’s + COD, moved them over and now I have like 300GB free. Probably gonna invest in like a 2TB down the line and get rid of the 500GB one (probs put it in another build) but it was like £60 so.