Dec 12, 2018
If I had a laptop with more than 1 SODIMM slots, and I took 1 of the SODIMM RAM sticks out and replaced the DDR2 slot with a Raspberry Pi CM3 (https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-cm3-plus-features-specs,38504.html) (so no compatibility problems there), could I create a cluster with the Raspberry Pi CM3 as a coprocessor?
It fits inside the slot and so technically it should work. So what do you guys/girls think?

Last edited:
Solution
No, it won't work, technically or otherwise.
The motherboard and its BIOS would have to know what to do with it, and then whatever OS you're using (Windows or Linux) would have to know what to do with it.

A Pi is a small, low cost, low performance computer.
You can't simply plug a computer into another computer and expect it to "work".
Dec 12, 2018
Uh, not to my knowledge. DDR slots are only meant for ram, and nothing more. Correct me if I'm wrong, but floating point Coprocessors have not been needed for a long time since they have mostly been integrated into modern CPUs as fpus.
But couldn't the processor access the RAM that is onboard the CM3? Then couldn't it be used as a sort of "memory pool" between the processor on the CM3 and the processor laptop?

No, the raspberry pi cannot be used as a ram or a coprocessor currently. It only comes as a ddr2 form factor to be a removable processing unit for things like set-top boxes with no other cpu. The ram is ddr2L, so even if it were to be plugged into most motherboards, it wouldn't be compatible.

Dec 12, 2018
No, the raspberry pi cannot be used as a ram or a coprocessor currently. It only comes as a ddr2 form factor to be a removable processing unit for things like set-top boxes with no other cpu. The ram is ddr2L, so even if it were to be plugged into most motherboards, it wouldn't be compatible.
What about the motherboards and/or laptops that use DDR2L? then couldn't the CM3 be used as a RAM pool and as a coprocessor?
Also, what are set-top boxes?

USAFRet

Titan
The motherboard and its BIOS would have to know what to do with it, and then whatever OS you're using (Windows or Linux) would have to know what to do with it.

Solution
Dec 12, 2018

So you would need to configure it to work in Linux, which is basically the same thing you have to do with any coprocessor.
Well thanks all of you for helping!