[SOLVED] Can you use an AIO with a GPU?

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Hi, i just wanted to post a quick question.

I would like to watercool my R9 290x for potential amazing overclocking and better temperatures. However, i have one CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240R RGB and would like to disassemble it to use the radiator and the pump for cooling. However, this is the main question. The AIO has a copper heatspreader. If i buy a waterblock with other type of metal being used as a heatspreader, will it make a problem even IF i take off the pump and put a new pump inside the system? Can there be some metal inside the water in the radiator that can then react with the metal in the waterblock after i put a new dedicated pump? Should i bleed out the whole radiator, put the new pump in then pour in some new liquid, or can i just remove the AIO pump and connect the pumps to the GPU and the new pump i will buy seperately and it should work fine?

Thanks inforward!

Solution
If your card can accept a GPU AIO bracket like the Kraken G12, you should be able to slap one on without any issues but truth be told, that card you have is more likely going to say buhbye since cards of that age are just waiting to give up.

If you want to reverse engineer an AIO, you should allocate your resources elsewhere since the coolant used in an AIO allow for mixed metal usages. If you want to watercool the GPU, do it the proper way with a waterblock meant for the GPU as well as a pump/res and radiator that does not have mixed metals.

Lutfij

Titan
If your card can accept a GPU AIO bracket like the Kraken G12, you should be able to slap one on without any issues but truth be told, that card you have is more likely going to say buhbye since cards of that age are just waiting to give up.

If you want to reverse engineer an AIO, you should allocate your resources elsewhere since the coolant used in an AIO allow for mixed metal usages. If you want to watercool the GPU, do it the proper way with a waterblock meant for the GPU as well as a pump/res and radiator that does not have mixed metals.

Solution

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018

Thank you for your quick response! As you are aware, the GPU shortages won't be ending soon so i'm making the most out of it. I think cooling it with water will definately increase it's lifespan by atleast some time for me to buy a fresh new GPU since it runs at around 80dg minimum while gaming. It's normal for an R9 but yet it can be better. Thank you for the response, i shall take notice!

TRENDING THREADS