Can you use new hardware with Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BomarBumber

Reputable
Feb 16, 2016
I have a hard drive running Windows Vista and since I don't wanna pay the 120$ for Windows 10 I figured I can just use Vista since I think people seriously exaggerate how bad it is and I think paying the 120$ is just kind of pointless. My one problem is I've been looking for Vista drivers for motherboards/GPUs etc. but they all seem to only go back as far as Windows 7 (not so much mobos but more GPUs) so can I use the Windows 7 drivers and will they just not work as well or at all?

USAFRet

Titan
1. Do you still have the install media and license key for that? It almost certainly will not boot up on new hardware. Clean install.
2. Is it an OEM license? If so, it will not work on new hardware.

$100 once a decade for a new OS is not 'pointless'.

BomarBumber

Reputable
Feb 16, 2016

You're missing the point on the "120$ is just kind of pointless" Is to mean that I don't really need to get Windows 10 right away since Vista should work fine for most things until I can afford Windows 10. As of the two questions the Vista hard drive is in an old HP workstation computer from 2007 and the mobo I'm gonna use (Asrock 970 pro3) has support for Vista so we're fine on that front it's the GPU I'm concerned about which is gonna be the R7 370 or R7 360. And I'm pretty sure pre made systems don't go with OEM keys.

USAFRet

Titan
And I'm pretty sure pre made systems don't go with OEM keys.

Prebuilt systems (from HP) are the very definition of OEM licenses. Then and now.

Will it work? Try it. Don't be surprised when it doesn't.

You're building a new system. A new OS is just as much a part as is the motherboard/GPU/RAM/whatever.

BomarBumber

Reputable
Feb 16, 2016

Sorry if that sounded like sort of condescending, I was just pretty sure it wasn't an OEM key that was all. And I'm using Vista temporarily I was just asking my hardware will work it doesn't need to be necessarily well and the CPU I'm using was made in 2012 so it's likely it was made with vista somewhat in mind. And I have to strongly disagree with using a new operating system being as important as new GPU or CPU windows 7 still runs on most new games and drivers exist for it on most GPUs using an old windows 7 drive would be a really good idea.

USAFRet

Titan
-Doesn't have to be a "new" OS (Win 10 or whatever), just has to be a relevant OS license. New system = new license, whatever OS.
-2012 = Win 7, not Vista.
-Will it work with that GPU and the rest? Unknown. Try it. See what happens.

From your original, it sounded like you wanted to continue using Vista, with that original Vista license from the old HP, because you didn't want to pay for a new OS.
For multiple reasons, that will not work.

BomarBumber

Reputable
Feb 16, 2016

Windows 7 was released awhile back and new hardware still has support I'm making the point that something released in 2012 might have better windows vista support than like a skylake processor. Because in case you need reminding 2012 was 4 years ago.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, and Vista was released in 2007. And not long after, dropped from MS and manufacturers. Do drivers still exist? Sure. Is anyone creating new drivers for it? Doubtful.
Would Win7 drivers work? Maybe. Only way to know is to try it.

Whatever.
Try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.