[SOLVED] Can you use SATA Cables of one modular PSU to another ?

Jul 2, 2019
My Corsair CX750M broke so i bought a Corsair TX750M to replace it.
Unfortunatly, the TX750M only comes with 1 SATA cable but I need 2.
Can I use the SATA cables of the CX750M on my TX750M ?

Solution
NO.
You might get lucky and the pinout at the PSU end of the cable could be the same, more than likely it is not, even with the same manufacturer. If it is not the same and you try it, you could cause serious damage.
Jul 2, 2019
Thank you for the advice.
You're right the TX750M has 2 SATA cables I just couldn't see it because it was behind my monitor.
Sorry for the stupid question.

You can research the pinouts if the same manufacturer, as noted above...

But, when swapping manufacturers, and NOT researching the pinouts....(obviously the pinout at the device being powered will be the same...; it's at the PSU side that's in question!)

At least a few folks in here the past 2-3 years have fried up to 3 drives at once...(wvisible smoke, fried components on underside circuit card of 3.5" drive, etc...)

You can research the pinouts if the same manufacturer, as noted above...

But, when swapping manufacturers, and NOT researching the pinouts....(obviously the pinout at the device being powered will be the same...; it's at the PSU side that's in question!)

At least a few folks in here the past 2-3 years have fried up to 3 drives at once...(wvisible smoke, fried components on underside circuit card of 3.5" drive, etc...)

Yes. You can't, say, put Corsair cables in an EVGA PSU and expect it to work.

But the OP is talking about using cables from one Corsair PSU on another Corsair PSU. Seems that people are ignoring that fact and that the information on compatibility between the two models is RIGHT ON Corsair's website.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
But the OP is talking about using cables from one Corsair PSU on another Corsair PSU. Seems that people are ignoring that fact and that the information on compatibility between the two models is RIGHT ON Corsair's website.

Not expressly ignoring it. Honestly, I didn't even know such a compatibility chart existed, so that's good information.

Either way, the OP actually had the required cables with the TX750M.

Out of curiosity @jonnyguru , was that a conscious decision/instruction on Corsair's end? Or did they just happen to fall that way, despite the varying suppliers?

Last edited:
Not expressly ignoring it. Honestly, I didn't even know such a compatibility chart existed, so that's good information.

Either way, the OP actually had the required cables with the TX750M.

Out of curiosity @jonnyguru , was that a conscious decision/instruction on Corsair's end? Or did they just happen to fall that way, despite the varying suppliers?

The realization that different pinouts were a bad idea came around the time Corsair wanted to sell their own cable kits. So moving forward after about 2011, engineering specified what the pinout and layout of the modular PCB would be. Seasonic was the last outlier because they pushed back on changing the pinout on the 24-pin on the AX. But that's Seasonic. They push back on A LOT of requests.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
The realization that different pinouts were a bad idea came around the time Corsair wanted to sell their own cable kits. So moving forward after about 2011, engineering specified what the pinout and layout of the modular PCB would be. Seasonic was the last outlier because they pushed back on changing the pinout on the 24-pin on the AX. But that's Seasonic. They push back on A LOT of requests.
That's interesting to know.