[SOLVED] Can you use two M.2s with a Ryzen 3600

Jul 11, 2020
Hi, I'm sorry if this is a duplicate post or something but I have had a question for the past week and tried to answer it myself but I couldn't find a conclusion.
Can you have two M.2s with a ryzen 3600? I know it has 24 PCIe gen4 lanes, 16 are taken by the GPU, 4 are taken by the chipset and that leaves me with 4 and I don't think I have enough PCIe lanes for it but the generation thing confuses me because I something use gen 3 so does the conversions mean more lanes? Or am I just stupid.

Hope someone can explain or help.

thank you

Solution
its an asrock b450 steel legend
I know it has slots
Assuming THIS motherboard:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M Steel Legend/#Specification

---------------------------------
  • 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Matisse, Picasso, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with Athlon 2xxGE series APU and Raven Ridge 2)**
  • 1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module*

M2_2 and SATA3_3 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.
-------------------------------

You can have ONE M.2 NVMe drive, and ONE M.2 SATA III drive.
You...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
this depends on the motherboard. there are plenty that come with 2 or even 3 m.2 slots. each is set-up different and how the lanes are used change from model to model.

this is why USAFRet asks for the specific board you want to use. it is entirely up to the mob what and how it works.

USAFRet

Titan
its an asrock b450 steel legend
I know it has slots
Assuming THIS motherboard:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M Steel Legend/#Specification

---------------------------------
  • 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Matisse, Picasso, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with Athlon 2xxGE series APU and Raven Ridge 2)**
  • 1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module*

M2_2 and SATA3_3 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.
-------------------------------

You can have ONE M.2 NVMe drive, and ONE M.2 SATA III drive.
You also have 4 other SATA III ports on the motherboard.
One of those will be disabled if using a drive in the M2_2 port.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah its this motherboard https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450 Steel Legend/
I don't know why they say the same name but what you are saying is I can have two or if I add one the other one will be disabled?
You need to be careful about the term "M.2"
That is simply a form factor.

On that motherboard, you can have 1x NVMe drive. Samsung 970 EVO, Crucial P1, Intel 660p
And also, 1x M.2 SATA drive. Samsung 860 EVO.

You can also have 3 or 4 SATA III drives. Either HDD, SATA III SSD, or whatever. COnnected to SATA ports on the motherboard.