Question Can your Graphics Cards cause screen flickering and screen to black out

Mar 22, 2019
I need help with this please, I am not sure if this could be my monitor or my Graphics cards.
I updated my 2 old GTX 780's back in November to the GTX 1070 ti's. There was no problems everything has been running smoothly, then about a month ago I rearranged all my cables and cleaned up around my computer area, So I unplugged all the cables and reran them in a more orderly way.( Neater I should say) My monitor is connected using the Display port which I have 3 ports for in my Card so a total of 6 ports if I add the other card into the bunch. So after getting things all plugged in and my computer up and running after a few days I started to notice my screen flickering every so often and over time it got progressively worse. I started looking into why so I unplugged my Display port cable from the slot it was in and went to the next one and still the same issue I did this to all my Display ports with no luck, so I changed some of my resolution settings, My resolution was set in the UHD/HD/SD range at 1080p 1920 x 1080 and I lowered that down to 1080p 1768 x 992 and the flickering seemed to get worse I changed the refresh rate from 59 to 60 the only option I was given and still it would flicker. So now I increased my resolution to the Dynamic Super Range setting of 3620 x 2036 (2.00x) and it seemed to of fixed the issue even though everything is a lot smaller on the screen, now after a while I noticed that the screen would flicker every so often again and some times black out for a few seconds but not as bad as it was before. I started to think maybe one of my cards went bad so I bought another one and installed that to the same effect, I changed the positions of my cards to check and see if that would work no luck there also. I did notice at this point that I would not get the dynamic Super range resolution on the other display ports that I get from the 1st port, ( not sure if that is normal or not ) but if you joggle the Display port cable abit the screen comes up with the No Input detected and will rest in 5 minutes alert box, so I joggle the cable again left and right slowly and my screen pops back up. I am going to change the display port cable out tomorrow but I wanted to get this written in case it does not fix my issue. I am starting to think that the Issue may be with my Monitor but I am not sure of that either.
I should note that this started after a Microsoft 10 update about a month ago, I have tried the Microsoft troubleshooting they suggested but nothing pans out. I do not think it is the Graphics cards either, and if its not the cards then I now have 3 1070 ti's to play with. I am pretty much a noob to the build and all and learn as I go but this issue has me stumped does anybody have any idea's on what could be the issue. It would be very much appreciated to hear from you.

Mar 22, 2019
What would be rest of specs?
CPU
Motherboard
Ram
PSU (Brand and model)
Storage (and windows version)

Just to ask, are you sure that connection to the GPU from PSU are snuggly in?
Hello thanks for writing sorry I guess I should of put all the other information in there also. Yes I have checked the connections numerous times and they all seem to be installed securely.
CPU = intel Core i70-4820k @ 3.70 GHz with 10mb cache overclocked up to 4,2GHz.
Motherboard = Alienware
Ram = 32.0GB DDR3 at 1600MHz
PSU = 875w Matte Stealth black
Storage = Serial ATA III Raid 0 with dual 3tb hard drives.
Windows 10.
Also it is a 64 bit operating system with a x-64 based processor.
Does this help.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019
Okay, lets start with basic.
Have you tried TV/Another monitor?
Have you tried only one GPU?
Hello I am sorry it took so long to get back to you, things in life happening so had to back burn the Computer fix for a few.
Update to the flickering issues.
I ultimately ended up totally doing a fresh install with Windows 10 and that seems to have taken care of the issue. But what led to the reinstall of Windows 10 is after I sent you the specs on my last message the next morning I could not even get windows to work or even get online. I am thinking a possible Virus was the cause but no idea how that could of happened unless it was on the new card 1070ti card that I installed if that is at all possible. I no longer have the flickering screen now but what I do have a problem with now is that my computer does not recognize the Dell display. The DDM program will not start at all and the screen resolutions that I use to be able to get in the Dynamic Super Range are no longer showing up as available.
Not sure why the DDM will now work but everything else seems to be working fine.
I am definitely a NOOB at this kind of thing, but I do have to admit that its been pretty fun trying to solve the issue.
Thank you again for the response from the beginning and again I am sorry I did not reply sooner.

Are you using original DVD of the windows or USB? Since sometimes it can be bad ISO file when downloading or burning to usb/dvd (Gets corrupted).

Well about dell display for DSR, you have to do it within nvidia control panel to enable DSR aka Dynamic Super Resolution.

TRENDING THREADS