Canada Says High-Speed Internet Is 'Necessary To The Quality of Life For Canadians'

Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I am in a major urban centre, I can't get 50mbps dsl because I am just the right distance from the hub to get 15mbps only.

Many people are in the same situation... why? Because Bell is cheap and they didn't lay out their network topology properly for maximum connectivity. They laid it out to turn a profit.

The double kick in the nutz is that Bell did this on the pax payers dime.
Go Canada!

50mbps/10mpbs up is not a "basic necessity", that's simply retarded. That's actually a very nice and respectable speed to have, not a BASIC necessity.

Basic would mean that your kids can do their homework, research, get the news, apply for jobs online, and watch web videos at maybe 720p with little to no buffering.

Being able to watch 4-5 1080p netflix streams at the same time is a luxury.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
If there's any smaller companies in your area, use 'em. I'm in a small town (30,000) fairly close to Vancouver, yet I have two Gigabit options, four smaller companies who don't reach Gigabit speeds, along with the big three. In literally every metric I looked at, the big three were almost always the slowest, but the most expensive.

MWilly

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Well as long as we will be sending Canada Whoopi, and Barbara,and half of Hollywood I guess we could throw in Comcast too.

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Good luck getting any providers to pay even a cent of this. As long as the tax payers fund it, they're fine with it. But as soon as you threaten their profit margins, we'll be lucky if it only gets tied up in legal disputes for the foreseeable future.

Both Bell and Rogers are notorious for being the worst for putting the priority of customer satisfaction on the bottom of their list of things that matter.

lun471k

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
I live in the North of Quebec province. The only two options I have are Cablevision and Télébec, they both belong to Bell Alliant. I pay 83$/mo for 20mbps download and 1.5mbps upload.

This change won't affect the prices, but at least my Internet will stop freezing my cloud backup solutions start running (Dropbox, Google Photos, Drive, etc.). Can't wait for a 10mbps upload solution.

Marc_46

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
The CRTC (a political organisation ruling telecommunications in Canada) artificially hikes the telecommunication prices. It makes a lot more expensive than most western countries. Plus, they use our tax money to rule to their advantage.

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
I have only 26 down and 6 up, which is likely a 30 and 7 package (parents bundled it with TV) so this will be interesting. I wonder how long it will take before these changes are implemented... Almost over the cap already

Kruelness

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
I live in Edmonton Alberta. ( it's a city for those who don't know what is North of the 49 the parallel).
I'm paying $70 CAD, so about $50 USD for 150 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up. Although those in the prairies are stuck , usually, with crappy satellite internet.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
The big deal is they have to offer an unlimited option!... then the LTE option becomes bearable in the farm country etc... wireless fixed internet

That's a great deal. In my area it is $80 USD for 90/20 Mbps with a 1TB soft data cap. The population density where I live is nearly double Edmonton (243 per square km vs 123 per square km). I'm in Atlanta, GA (out in the suburbs).

It's ridiculous since these companies are given a monopoly by the government. Then everyone cries free market and no interference whenever there is discussion on regulating their rates or settings speed/data standards.

I'm all for the free market, if there is competition readily available. Otherwise if they want to be granted monopoly status. Then they should be required to continually improve service and be limited to a 5% profit margin.

StonedGamer

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

God Damn! Accidentally downvoted, my bad, I totally agree!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think the big change will be DOCSIS 3.1. Ten gig speeds out of existing cable networks. There will be some companies holding off for it, and some offering a hybrid solution before then.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
why bother ? if you live in Canada you already know internet is run by 3 big companies , they over charge for garbage speed in major cites where they already have infrastructure

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
50 Mbps download can only stream about two 4K videos simultaneously... with little bandwidth left over for satisfying basic 'Quality of Life' when those two streaming hogs (you know who you are!) are already active in the same house.

Seriously, people. That being said, I'm still anxious to get on DOCSIS 3.1 (since I'm one of the aforementioned 'hogs').

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
DOCSIS 3.1 is still like 5~10 years out. They came out with the standard years ago, but it usually takes the ISPs a good decade to adopt the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.