Canada Wants Software Backdoors, Mandatory Decryption Capability And Records Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've written my MP's so many times about these bills.... it seems apathy is strong, and I'd recon ignorance as well. Eroding our rights through false fear is one of the double aims of the Islamist movement, because they're quite similar to the infrastructure needed to support their own brutal ways.

Further to that, why are we so eager to lose what we seek to defend in the same idiotic act? Its reason to exist is the defense of our liberties and way of life, but its existence is a major step toward their destruction.

I know I speak somewhat in hyperbole - but the Gestapo will not catch me at home for my caution, I only pray my fellows are smart enough to do the same. Every power you give government builds up something dirty in the shadows - which they may never use, but God have mercy if power tempts mortal men.

These programs are ineffectual, supremely expensive, and above all erode rights that are not the government's to butcher. Leave the effects of terrorism to the terrorists, they're far less competent at it than the rats in ties.

MichaelElfial

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
CANADIANVICE, I agree with you and this makes me feel happy that my country is a bit of a mess - at least the government is not organized enough to do something like this. Anyway, such an act does not bring security for too many reasons - from the cold war it will cause and the steep curve of freedom lost in the race to intercept enemy who will constantly seek new ways, to the waste of resources spent on hopeless frenzy to deal with a complex problem through the most obvious and trivial means. Such laws say only one thing - MPs everywhere from the old Western democracies to the flaky Eastern ones have one ting in common - total lack of adequate thinking and understanding what is real and what is part of their ignorant imagination.

This is kind of a double whammy. It increases the cost for canadian VPNs and ISP and erodes rights. They will be losing tax dollars from two sources. And people wonder why norwegian countries are doing so well, the IP service boom thanks to laws like this are definitely helping.

schwatzz

Distinguished
Software backdoors will make everything even easier to hack. Hackers will know that there is without a doubt a backdoor in the code and focus on where it will most likely be.

I always laugh when I see the vpn/proxy answer, as if that's what's going to somehow preserve your privacy. To some extent, ok, sure. But overall, using a vpn or proxy server isn't necessarily going to ensure your privacy whatsoever. It's very sad, but that's what things have come to. Even George Orwell couldn't have hoped to imagine just how far stranger reality has proven to be, than the brilliant, tragic, prophetic vision he'd written about in his most famous works.

G

This is a shame. The "without a warrant" part is downright scary. I guess it's time to move, but where too?

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Most software all ready has weak points in it's code due to a lack of thorough testing before release these days. Hackers just have to look for the weak points that all ready exist in most of today's software, government just wants to make hackers jobs easier is all. Do to a lack a thorough testing before most software makes it to market, there is all ready weak points and back doors included in a lot of the software that exists today due to poor beta testing. The Canadian government just wants to make the existing problems with today's software easier for hackers to break in to.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
It would be funny if Canada passed laws for these things and then none of the companies sold the software there. Why give in? Just don't make the software to sell them and they can go without new computers / phones.

1pp1k10k4m1

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
I notice that you note bill 1 was passed under a "conservative" government, but don't bother to note that this present bill is being pushed by a liberal government.

Any particular reason, or is your bias just showing?

There is for the public safety and then there is this. They tried something similar in the US.

Canada, don't fall for it. I am all for trying to help in cases of investigations but no government should have this much legislative power over the people. The UK has got it wrong.

Although considering that one of the last bills that seems to have passed, bill c-16, that controls the people I am sure this will and you guys will be even more screwed.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
When you create (mandate) backdoors, you don't necessarily get to choose who opens those doors. You might as well dismantle all on-line ecommerce while you are at it. Who will want to trust their on-line safety with such preordained breaches in the protocol defenses?

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
When they propose such invasive laws, why not go all in and provide that access not only to most(?) government organisations, but to the entire public!
Let anybody that wishes to do that snooping on anybody!
Otherwise it will mostly be the "bad guys" spying on the "good guys".

And then... there are those who will gladly give up their freedoms and rights (natural and granted) just for the feeling of security... and demand everyone else do the same. Little do they recognize, their own security actually begins with them, not law enforcement, not their government, but them personally... or is it the don't want the responsibility for their own true safety?

Yeah, I know, great material for movies, books, and games, but reality? Well... truth can be stranger than fiction... I'd rather it be fiction, yet I'm not naive enough to think that some person or persons, would love it to be reality.

The bad part about mandatory backdoors:
The government is not the only entity to utilize them. Opens the doors wide for hackers.

You think the government has better hacking capability than the non-government entities?

Hopefully, the government employs hackers and pays them a lot because all of these mandatory back doors will make an ugly future for data security.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

Canada is a Social Democracy, which is what is in the UK and northern Euro-countries which are tax-happy and HEAVY on government social programs/schooling, leaving the citizen with zero choices.

In short, any democracy is a majority rules system that is elected by the people, then in turn represents the people via a parliament/prime-minister AND can be headed by a monarch (figure-head).

The US is a Republic, Canada is NOT. Hope those fleeing celebs have a good life up yonder!

Status
Not open for further replies.