Cannon MP560 Won't Power On

protostar8

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I have a Canon MP560 Printer. The printer had a paper jam occur today while I was out. My family member heard it jam and rushed to turn the printer off. It supposedly only took 30 seconds to get it powered off. The family member removed the paper jam, then tried to print it again.
At this point, the printer either turned itself off 1/4 of the way through a page, or the family member turned the power back (they conveniently can't remember). The printer will not power on. I can hold down the power button and nothing happens. So does anyone know what might have happened? Is there some kind of "reset" switch that might have gotten tripped that I need to press to allow power back to the unit?

I have unplugged it, let it sit without power for half an hour, no dice. I have unplugged and replugged in the power cable set leading to the interior of the printer that connects to the power supply (I also took the power supply out to inspect the connections). No luck...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
You probably already tried this but the only solution I see is to try a different outlet in the room, and don't plug the printer into a surge protector. Also, a capacitor could have blown so remove the PCB board from inside the printer to check.

protostar8

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
That problem is similar to mine, but not the same. I don't get any power at all. No lights are turning on, no buttons make any lights turn on. No clue what to do or check out at this point. My printer cartridges slide freely on the rails.

protostar8

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I don't have access to a voltmeter. However, I have tried replacing the power cord with a different cord of the same type and still have no visible lights/power from what I can tell.

PaulR08

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
You probably already tried this but the only solution I see is to try a different outlet in the room, and don't plug the printer into a surge protector. Also, a capacitor could have blown so remove the PCB board from inside the printer to check.

Solution

Londonship

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014

DID YOU EVER SOLVE THE POWER PROBLEM? I also have a 560 and yesterday - March of 2014 - it froze while printing multiple documents. Power just quit. Nothing else in the room, just the printer while in the midst printing of a B&W page. It seems there should be a simple solution rather than running out to buy a whole new printer or ship it across the country for a couple days or weeks. Thanks for any advice or news.

Brenslogic101

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
DID YOU EVER SOLVE THE POWER PROBLEM? I also have a 560 and yesterday - March of 2014 - it froze while printing multiple documents. Power just quit. Nothing else in the room, just the printer while in the midst printing of a B&W page. It seems there should be a simple solution rather than running out to buy a whole new printer or ship it across the country for a couple days or weeks. Thanks for any advice or news. [/quotemsg]

If you just unplug the printer and wait for ONE MINUTE before you replug it into the socket. The internal circuitry needs to completely power down before you replug it in. With replugging it back in within a few seconds it is not gettng this break in time it needs.

Hudsville

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

If you just unplug the printer and wait for ONE MINUTE before you replug it into the socket. The internal circuitry needs to completely power down before you replug it in. With replugging it back in within a few seconds it is not gettng this break in time it needs.
[/quotemsg]

I have the same problem: happily printing a number of high quality A5 colour and B&W photos today. In between each print, minimum of 5 minutes while I set up and adjusted next print (i.e. not reams of photos). Started one print and after about 3 or 4 passes of the printer head, complete failure of the printer, lights out power dead.
Have checked the fuse, socket and cable, all OK.
Have tried the 'Unplug and leave it for 10 minutes' but nothing.
Short press or long press on the power button has no effect.

UPDATE 2014 08 25
I removed the power supply (PSU) from the bottom of the printer (it has two simple spring clips that hold it in place).
I then took a Voltmeter and tested the five pins on the low voltage (output) side of the PSU. A number of the pins give Voltage however without buying the service manual, I don't know which are correct if any, so cannot tell if the PSU is faulty.
I then contacted a supplier of (used) spare Power Supplies for this printer, to ask how I tell if my PSU has failed and thus that I should buy one from them. I await their technician to advise me, but the proprietor warned me that of it is not unusual for the fault to be further inside, i.e. on an internal circuit board (PCB), and if one replaces the PSU, the faulty PCB can then cause the new PSU to fail also.
SO, beware with blindly replacing the PSU as this might not be the problem. Interesting that the proprietor also said these printers are particularly good with excellent print quality and well built compared to some of the newer models.
If I find any more info, I will post.

elvis2lives

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
my Canon mp 520 printer.. would not power up after a power outage..i read a post to unplug power source from printer for minute or 2 and plug back in and i turn on.. awesome! it started rt back up..Thanks I will be returning the printer i just picked up today!

Sue Moseley

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
[/quotemsg]

Thanks. This just worked for me.