Cannot Access Advanced BIOS

Brokenangel099

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
Hello!

So, working on a PC with an ASUS 970 PRO MoBo. Got the "unauthorized uefi or bios changes error" (to which I followed the internet trails of links to discover a fix for), but...

When I go to the BIOS screen for the 970, it automatically loads up in simple mode. And when I try to go to advanced mode (where basically any real change can be made), the screen goes black, the computer freezes & nothing happens.

I have to hard reset it in order to get it to restart.

I've reinstalled windows on the machine once already (I'm not afraid to have to do it again), does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to get around this or otherwise update the BIOS in a fashion as to correct the issue at hand?

Thank you,

Jason

Solution
Okay,

I ended up having to download Asus Suite 3, and I unlike the other updaters I was using, it actually worked.

Not to doge the situation, but... Very astonishment, much irritation.

Anyway, the bios appears to be properly updated now. But I haven't done much delving or research into it, other than verifying that it now has the most recent update.

The error, at least the bios error, that I was previously getting, I am no longer getting. Since I took the time to reinstall windows again, this time I adjusted windows update settings and I will be attempting to hold back the downloading of the security update that caused the problem in the first place. Fortunately, one of the gentleman whose videos I watched identified the...

Brokenangel099

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
Oh gotcha, that can be a problem. You can create a bootable USB with something like Rufus
https://rufus.akeo.ie/
Then load the BUPDATER Flash BIOS tool and the bios file on to the USB.
Boot off the USB (f8 on boot before the OS loads).
From there you should be able to run the updater and flash your BIOS. Asus has it outlined for a optical drive way of doing it, but the format should be about the same only with a USB
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1012409/

Brokenangel099

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
I will give that a try tomorrow when I have renewed access to the machine.

So, just format the USB via Rufus & then follow Asus's step by step? This, this I can do.

I appreciate the support my friend, very helpful. Hopefully I'll have some good news tomorrow evening?

Cheers,

-J

Brokenangel099

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
Alright,

Well, I grabbed Rufus & ran it on standard settings. I'm assuming FreeDos is what I'm looking for here.

I got a hold of the BIOS updater from ASUS as well as the most recent BIOS file. The data from RUFUS is on there, as is the updated & the BIOS file.

I'm assuming the steps indicated in ASUS's support .pdf about having to switch from the Optical Drive to the USB in DOS is not necessary as the USB is now a DOS-viable device?

Cheers,

-J

Brokenangel099

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
Okay, so none of that worked. Like, at all...

The bupdater is not comparable with windows x64.

And Advanced Mode Bios is still not available. It continues to black screen when I attempt to access it.

When I attempt to boot from a Rufus-ready usb, it also black screens and will not load.

Now I'm getting a Windows Error Recovery which freezes the screen & forces me to hard restart, then it freezes again.

How hard is it to update BIOS... seriously, I've never, ever had this much trouble doing a simple BIOS update before ever.

Does anyone have a walk through or video link or something that can help me out here? This is really starting to get to me.

Starting to seriously wonder if your BIOS is so fouled up you can't update it. I've never see anyone have this kind of trouble updating.

I'd make sure that your OS drive is unplugged when you try flashing so it doesn't force booting in to WIndows. Your Windows install should have no bearing on the BIOS behavior.

Without being able to enter in to the advance mode, you can't do the EZ Bios update, so the only option is to boot off the support CD or off a USB drive and update from there.

Brokenangel099

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
I officially have no idea what to do,

It's a Rufus drive & the F8 menu shows it as an available boot source.

I select it as a boot device & the screen goes black, no progress whatsoever.

I try to load the PC in safe mode to run it from DOS instead, it tells me the bupdater is not x64 compatible.

I try to enter BIOS Advanced mode, it black screens with no progress.

I've tried resetting the BIOS to standard settings. I've tried updating it from Windows.

Nothing I've done allows me to access BIOS to update it. Anything I do either doesnt do anything, freezes the computer on a black screen, or simply ignores my attempt & restarts the PC.

What the heck is going on...

Brokenangel099

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
Okay,

I ended up having to download Asus Suite 3, and I unlike the other updaters I was using, it actually worked.

Not to doge the situation, but... Very astonishment, much irritation.

Anyway, the bios appears to be properly updated now. But I haven't done much delving or research into it, other than verifying that it now has the most recent update.

The error, at least the bios error, that I was previously getting, I am no longer getting. Since I took the time to reinstall windows again, this time I adjusted windows update settings and I will be attempting to hold back the downloading of the security update that caused the problem in the first place. Fortunately, one of the gentleman whose videos I watched identified the security update by name specifically. So that, and all of this, should be a snap.

Man, I have to tell you what, I have never had so much trouble with a PC before. I don't know if it's just bad luck or what, but I am never building an AMD PC again.

Solution
Nov 2, 2019
Hello! Greetings from Colombia.

I solved the problem as follows:
  1. In the BIOS manual on page 34, they explain a part of the process. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...7.2078220038.1572673786-2072968175.1572673786
  2. I created a memory with FreeDOS formatted in Fat32, there I saved the latest version of the BIOS and the file BUPDATER_VER131.rar unzipped it there.
  3. I started the pc from the USB memory with FreeDOS, then executed the bupdater / pc / g command and followed the instructions on the screen.
That was it. I hope I have helped (late) but I succeeded!